Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:22 pm 

Cone Zero Anthology submission guidelines linked from here:

http://weirdmonger.livejournal.com/88231.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:57 pm 

Anyone who bumps this thread will get preferential treatment of their submission. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:57 am 

While I certainly like the idea of writing a story to a concept called "Cone Zero" (google it and the first hits are scientific papers about 'the quantisation of the massive Schwinger model on the light cone on bosonic zero modes'(*) -- one should be able to extract some interesting nemonic speculations from that alone), it is the submitting with the correct by-line that will have Nemonymous purists foaming at the mouth.

And if this is a shift towards making the stories rather than the authors 'anonymous' by giving them similar titles, then I must say that Elastic Press has already done that.

Interesting times... :mrgreen:

(Also, the guidelines have changed: yesterday the word count was 5000 to 12000, now it's 2500 to 12000; and the pay went up from 50 to 65 pounds. But the submitting with byline requirement has remained.)

(*) of course, one might prefer to use 'Faddeev-Jackiw quantisation, an alternative way to treat the zero-mode problem in light-cone quantum field theory'.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:26 am 

Now we're talking. This is the right stuff for an SF site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:35 am 

Thanks, Jetse.
Indeed, the first time this was done was in 1996 with a successful PALACE CORBIE book where several independent stories (by Michael A Arnzen, Mark McLaughlin, William Relling Jr, Edo van Belkom, JN Williamson, S Darnbrook Colson, Charlee Jacob (x2), DF Lewis (x2), Lina Lepovetsky, Bentley Little, Edward Lee/John Pelan, John Marshall) were all entitled THE PIANO PLAYER HAS NO FINGERS!

Reading submissions from outset in the same way as any other editor does is a serious experiment for me to undertake, of course! :-)

The original purpose of Nemonymous was merely to present stories in print without the by-line attached in the body of the thing itself, much like a composer or architect etc. etc
And that continues.

Nemo 9 will no doubt have a different experiment to undertake...!
des

PS Roy, is this purely a sf site?

PPS: Jetse, the guidelines are now set in stone. There was an initial period where I was still tweaking the details. I'm now adding 'comments' to the guidelines entry but only for fine-tuning any possible misunderstandings of the stone-set guidelines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:42 am 

I have a copy of Elastic's 'The Alsiso Project'. Every story therin was entitled 'Alsiso'.

Not purely an SF site no but SF is one of its reasons to exist as it does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:54 am 

Yes, Alsiso was a brilliant idea. Based on one of Marion's typos, I recall. Proud to be following in its footsteps. :-)

I thought this site was based on a mix of Black Static (as a rebirth of TTA magazine) and Interzone and Crimewave and The Fix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:10 pm 

Des is right: this is the TTAPress site, and I like to think it covers the genre from SF, fantasy, horror and crime (OK: no romance. Maybe we should start a magazine called "The Pulse of Passion"?... :D ).

But I know where Roy's preferences are, and the title "Cone Zero" certainly leaves plenty of room for an SFnal interpretation; that is, more than previous Nemo incarnations.

And while Nemonymous does certainly have its share of SF stories ("The Robot & the Octopus" and "Berian Winslow and the Stream of Consciousness Storyteller" come to mind), this 'theme' opens Nemonymous -- normally a bastion of interstitialism and horror -- to an invasion of perfidious SF.

I might even give it a shot, if inspiration strikes -- likely -- and I have the time -- unlikely. But I'm already looking forward to it.

NB: I don't mind you tweaking your guidelines, Des, and certainly not if every tweak means a pay increase of 30%... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:41 am 

Jetse wrote:
this 'theme' opens Nemonymous -- normally a bastion of interstitialism and horror -- to an invasion of perfidious SF.

Indeed, Jetse, and SF submissions will of course be welcome. Some of my formative years in reading fiction were largely taken up by reading SF (including EE Doc Smith). And I read every issue of 'Interzone'* with relish.

des

*which, come to think of it, has lately re-awakened my interest in SF.

Last edited by des2 on Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:13 am 

What I've now put in one of the Appendices to the Guidelines:

"As to a 'Cone Zero' and what it is? It is whatever comes to your mind! Directly, indirectly, subtly, transcendentally, metafictionally, magically or from dreams or from...?"

and

"The above image is not one of 'Ground Zero' but a skewed vision of Glastonbury Abbey ruins."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:53 am 

des2 wrote:
...entitled THE PIANO PLAYER HAS NO FINGERS!

Now that is a great title! I can think of an SF character who played piano without using his fingers, but if memory serves he did actually have them at his disposal (Kudos to anyone who can remember the character).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:15 am 

That's an interesting poser, Mike. I wonder if anyone here knows the answer.

BTW, I wonder if there should be a genre of SF actually called 'Perfidious SF' (to run alongside 'Mundane SF')?
In fact Perfidious SF may be the sort of fiction I need for 'Cone Zero'.
Anyone care to give a working definition of this new genre?
des

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:41 pm 

Perfidious SF, hm?

Fundamentally deceitful, betraying . . .

Maybe SF that only tricks you into believing it's SF? Like, you write a story from a point of view that assumes one of the key characters is a humanoid android, but that character is actually a socially abnormal human? SF that uses the rules and assumptions of SF to examine the real and tangible world we live in, working in SF themes, ideas and language into a story that, in fact, has no SF elements to it at all, just real elements.

Or maybe a story that uses SF elements (androids, space travel, etc) in another genre. A horror story where the psychopath is a derranged cyborg sort of thing. Kind of like Jason X, only less crap.

Me blog: http://dylan-fox.blogspot.com/
And if that's not enough, I'm on Twitter, too: Foxie299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:02 pm 

Some of that, Foxie, reminds me of the 'SF' film (was it a film?) where the actual space trip turns out (at the end) to be a mock up of a space trip?

There seems to be a conundrum regarding Perfidy in relation to War: where some acts of Perfidy are allowed and others not:

Under the 1977 Protocol I Additional to the Geneva Conventions of 12 August 1949 (Protocol I) there is a specific prohibition on perfidy.

“ Article 37.-Prohibition of perfidy
1. It is prohibited to kill, injure or capture an adversary by resort to perfidy. Acts inviting the confidence of an adversary to lead him to believe that he is entitled to, or is obliged to accord, protection under the rules of international law applicable in armed conflict, with intent to betray that confidence, shall constitute perfidy. The following acts are examples of perfidy:
(a) The feigning of an intent to negotiate under a flag of truce or of a surrender;
(b) The feigning of an incapacitation by wounds or sickness;
(c) The feigning of civilian, non-combatant status; and
(d) The feigning of protected status by the use of signs, emblems or uniforms of the United Nations or of neutral or other States not Parties to the conflict.
2. Ruses of war are not prohibited. Such ruses are acts which are intended to mislead an adversary or to induce him to act recklessly but which infringe no rule of international law applicable in armed conflict and which are not perfidious because they do not invite the confidence of an adversary with respect to protection under that law. The following are examples of such ruses: the use of camouflage, decoys, mock operations and misinformation.”

Per-fidy: through faith
Hmm, interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:14 pm 

Thinking about it further, I suppose SF is doubly Perfidious by being both fiction in itself and fiction about speculative rather than real things.

"Perfidious SF" would therefor be a perfidy of perfidiousness and I'm not sure where that take us. Perhaps later.
des

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next