Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Robert B Parker RIP
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:20 pm 

Robert B Parker passed away on Monday. He made a huge impact on the crime scene in the '70s and published over 60 novels, most famously the Spenser series. His work was tough, funny, intelligent and romantic. From all accounts so was he.

One of my favourite writers. I'm sorry that he's gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:04 pm 

The only thing I've read by him was the Chandler fix-up, and I forget the name of that ("The Poodle Springs Mystery"?), or even if I liked it (don't think I did, at least compared to the original).

I've heard people, including Stu, speak highly of the man, and he's on my list of writers to check out when time allows.

Sad that he's gone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm 

I think the fact that he was so prolific did dilute his work a little, to the point where some of his novels border on self-parody. Plus some of his novels aren't great as jumping on points for his various series, relying too much on the reader already knowing back story from previous adventures. But when he was on form he was great.

There's also the fact that some of his ideas seem old hat due to so many other people having ripped them off. And it's not just the obvious writers who learned from him -- I was amazed by the amount of authors who were quoted in various obituaries and eulogies as having been influenced by him. As Harlan Coben said in a 2007 interview, "When it comes to detective novels, 90% of us admit he's an influence, and the rest of us lie about it."

Or for a really impressive quote to remember him by here's Robert Crais: "For a long time, the American detective genre was defined by the big three: Dashiell Hammett, Raymond Chandler and Ross Macdonald. I would say Robert Parker is the fourth."