Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:31 pm 

steven pirie wrote:
I enjoyed Soul Purpose, too, but I did stop occasionally to let the dog out. :wink:

Hehe - although that amount of time without toilet should not be a problem - we're talking about the dog who complains if he doesn't get at least 10 hours in bed (A dog that loves his bed as much as I love mine can only be a good thing). It was more of a pointed reminder that he deserves attention, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:43 pm 

des2 wrote:
The Book of Dave - a remarkable SF novel by Will Self.

Now reviewed at: http://www.zone-sf.com/wordworks/bookdave.html
So, is it unanimous that Will Self really is an SF writer?

Post subject: Q!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:25 pm 

The new STNG book RESISTANCE is great--I was able to get an early copy. Much better than I expected. J.M. Dillard has the genre down. Good way to revisit and continue the NG saga. Also reading Joyce PORTRAIT OF THE ARTIST... Definitely more tedious, but thoroughly loving it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:37 am 

I just tore through the first 'Dark Matter' anthology. LOVED IT. Especially Chip Delany's essay about African-American SF, and the DJ Spooky essay as well. Before that, it was Alternate Generals 3, which I raved to Turtledove about and made him go 'Aw shucks' like he always does. Oh, yeah, and Al Reynolds' 'Diamond Dogs /Turquoise Days.' I've just been rolling in good sf like a dog in carrion the past few weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:40 am 

The lovely people at Orbit have seen fit to send me a proof-copy of Stross's Halting State ... now I have to maintain my discipline and finish the book I'm already reading before diving in head-first.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

VelcroCityTouristBoard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:03 pm 

Nearly completed reading Blue Mars which I started about 6 months and then I will start on Cyteen by C,J. Cherryh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:54 am 

I like CJ Cherryh's early SF novels (not her fantasy) but she seemed to almost parody, or concentrate, her own style with Cyteen and I've not really found her work as enjoyable since. She was perhaps moving that way with all her work until she just went over the edge (for me) with Cyteen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:46 am 

I'm currently in the middle of The New Space Opera, edited by Gardner Dozois and Jonathan Strahan. It was all going so well... and then I reached 'Maelstrom' by Kage Baker. Which isn't space opera (a man stages a play of Poe's 'The Maelstrom' on Mars in the not-so-distant future), and features a cast of wholly unconvincing Brits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:06 pm 

I'm currently in the middel of Neal Asher's Hilldiggers and enjoying it a lot. One of his best books to date (after all, when you have a Hooper as the main character you can't go too wrong) that I've read and I hope it can keep up the pace and expectations until the end.

The Unisphere | A Peter F Hamilton Fan Site

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:14 am 

The Imago Sequence, the collection of stories by Laird Barron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:26 pm 

I'd like to trace a book recommended on the old forum: an American novel, set in the Bronx (I think) about a paraplegic artist. Anyone able to help?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:05 am 
"The Origins Of The British" Stephen Oppenheimer. Taking me a long time to get through, but it's good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:00 pm 

Just read Ghosts and Grisly Things by Campbell and am now reading Matheson's short stories Vol I. Can't believe I didn't run across this sooner.

Post subject: Great Apes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:57 am 

Reading Will Self's entertaining novel, Great Apes, I noticed it isn't marketed as fantasy, which it almost certainly is, albeit with a literary and satirical bent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:33 pm 

I'm about halfway through Brasyl by Ian McDonald and it's great. I wouldn't go as far saying it's better than River of Gods but I haven't finished it yet so who knows?
Basically it is Brazil in three different times and with three different main characters, one for each time.
When I read ROGs I was gob-smacked with McDonald's way of writing about India, I was almost reading the story with an Indian accent in some parts it was so well written and researched, same goes for Brasyl. How a Brit like McDonald can get into the minds and locations of two disparate cultures like these so convincingly is amazing. I reckon he's a re-incarnation of his characters. Both books are gems.

Debut novel site: http://www.flamesofherakleitos.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next