Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:49 pm 

Hi everyone,

I’m very happy to say that I’ve just had my debut novel published and would love to swap thoughts and opinions on what makes a compelling read. Obviously, some of my motivation is market research, but if I don't ask people who are interested in books who can I ask! With this in mind, what do you think attracts a potential reader? Would it be the front cover like mine below or is it more likely to be on the strength of the synopsis? Just how important is the cover art and what really determines our decision to invest the time to actually sit down and read a book? As a new author, I feel these questions are very important, so any insights you can give will be greatly appreciated. It may help me not to make the same mistakes if I ever get around to writing another one! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:48 pm 

Congratulations Mark!

In answer to your question, I think cover art is probably a more significant factor than most of us would like to admit. Particularly, if idly browsing in a bookshop - unless it's by an author you already know - it's the cover that's got to grab your attention initially. Probably it's most important job is firstly to get your attention, and secondly to convey some idea of the genre and setting.

However, once you've actually picked the book up, it's the blurb that's really got to sell it to you. You want to know the premise, get an idea of the story set-up and potential themes. If that seems appealing, you generally read a few pages. So those first few pages had better start fulfilling the promise of the blurb!

All that said, I buy as much online as in bookshops these days, and here it's really reviews (both newspaper and readers' reviews) that will probably sway me. So you should probably open up a load of Amazon accounts with different email addresses! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:14 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I agree with you, although the reviews on Amazon have been pretty good so far and I haven't had to resort to any skulduggery! :) If you get a chance to check it out, I've posted a synopsis and two short excerpts from my book at this link: http://hometown.aol.co.uk/markjohnhockl ... ywork.html
It would be helpful to get some feedback on them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:20 pm 

For anyone interested there are a number of mini reviews of The Magic Lands on Amazon.co.uk It would be great to hear from some readers and I'm always happy to answers questions if anyone has one!