Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:31 am 

Publishers Lunch
Quote:
In the UK, Games Workshop intends to sell their original fiction line Solaris, which publishes about 20 sci-fi, horror and fantasy tales a year. They will focus on the Black Library, which publishes books related to their Warhammer figures and games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:29 am 

Apparently Solaris makes a slight profit. And I heard a rumour that Games Workshop was only asking for £1, which makes sense if cancelling all the contracts is going to cost them money. Maybe just rumours, but still tempting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:51 pm 

Quote:
Such escapist urges are also fueling sales of science fiction and fantasy, said Bob Wietrak, a vice president for merchandising at Barnes & Noble. Mr. Wietrak said sales of novels with vampires, shape shifters, werewolves and other paranormal creatures were “exploding,” whether they were found in the romance, fantasy or young-adult aisles, where Stephenie Meyer’s Twilight series continues to dominate and inspire look-alike books like the House of Night teen novels by P. C. Cast and Kristin Cast.

Not all bad news ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:26 am 

Quote:
..sales of novels with vampires, shape shifters, werewolves and other paranormal creatures were “exploding,” whether they were found in the romance, fantasy or young-adult aisles

Sounds a bit like another round of 'dumbing down' for SF-fantasy, and especially for horror... OK, this is only my knee-jerk reaction to one report, but what's described there is hardly 'edgy' stuff, is it? Yes, any rise in sales of genre books is welcome, but I'm not sure how that helps magazines publishing material that isn't just routine/retro fighting monsters (with - blah! - happy endings). :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:10 am 

You are right it probably doesn't help IZ/BS but increased book sales are good news for authors and if any Iz authors have a science fiction or fantasy vampire novel in mind maybe now is the time to mention it to their agent or publisher. It's probably going to be a short window from recession to depression.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:39 pm 

I do hope the Solaris situation resolves itself soon - especially since I'm eagerly awaiting Tim Akers' debut novel, Heart of Veridon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:22 pm 

Jim Steel wrote:
Apparently Solaris makes a slight profit. And I heard a rumour that Games Workshop was only asking for £1, which makes sense if cancelling all the contracts is going to cost them money. Maybe just rumours, but still tempting.

... I'd buy that for a dollar/pound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:17 am 

I went to a bookshop recently where 'Horror' was separated from 'Gothic Fiction'. The former was what I call 'the good stuff' whereas the latter was all that teen stuff that's clogging it up (the 'Gothic' label seemingly a reference to cultural groups rather than the strictest use of the term). How many more 'I'm a streetwise vampire/werewolf/magic user that also has relationship problems' can there be? Still, nice that I didn't have to sit and throw them aside as I browsed through the real thing - staff don't seem to like that much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:11 pm 

We didn't receive the press release and I guess you know already, but Solaris has been bought by Rebellion (Abaddon, 2000AD etc).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:47 pm 

Angry Robot Books to Join Osprey Publishing
Sci-fi imprint leaving HarperCollins UK

May 11, 2010

Quote:
After spending its first year as an imprint of HarperCollins UK, science fiction and fantasy line Angry Robot Books has become an independent publisher, with backing from niche publisher Osprey Publishing. Angry Robot will continue to operate from its Nottingham office with its existing team under Marc Gascoigne, its founder and publisher.
Angry Robot started in July 2009, and Gascoigne said the house has a dedicated fan base “as well as some strong sales of our first titles in the UK.” He also said the house plans to launch in the U.S. in the near future. Angry Robot’s 2010-2011 list will be “basically unaffected by these changes,” he said, noting that there will be a short break during the transition and that the house will relaunch in September 2010.

The house will launch six titles in the U.S this fall, including Kelly’s Legend by Andy Remic, Moxyland by Lauren Beukes, Sixty-One Nails by Mike Shevdon, Slights by Kaaron Warren, Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero by Dan Abnett, and Winter Song by Colin Harvey. They will go on sale August 31.

Osprey has experience in niche publishing, including military history (Osprey Publishing), and “heritage and nostalgia” (Shire Books). Osprey marketing director Richard Sullivan said, “Angry Robot is a great fit with our existing businesses. We are very excited about the opportunity to enter into a new market.”

via Andy Porter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:49 pm 

Desperate science fiction author offers cash for readers
Quote:
Writer who failed to clinch publishing deal puts up $3,000 prize pot for answering questions about novel

I wonder how many rejections forced him into this action?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:43 am 

Roy wrote:
Desperate science fiction author offers cash for readers
Quote:
Writer who failed to clinch publishing deal puts up $3,000 prize pot for answering questions about novel

Quote:
this novel means more to me than anything in the world

What a sad life he must lead...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:13 am 

Or th novel is really good :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:33 am 

I'm reading Ken MacLeod's Learning the World and enjoying it immensely. Although I am only about one-third through it, I can report that it is a lighthearted approach to first contact. Two friends tell me that it's a heartwarming, optimistic text, whose main message is that we can all get along with one-another (even interspecies) if we do the right things. I hope that Mr MacLeod tells me what at least some of them are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:19 pm 

Roy wrote:

"[...] I feel western society needs this book. It's a contribution I feel I must make"

Well, he's a kook.

Though on the basis of the first few lines of his novel he's a little better than most of these kooky "I finally wrote the book I've been thinking about since college" types. I've reviewed a number of these novels and they tend to be really, really bad. Another common characteristic is that they're written by people who don't have the faintest idea about the literature of the last x decades.

I tended to be gentle in my extensive criticism; now I just don't review them any more.

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.