Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 294  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:53 pm 

Or it might have been a ham fisted and tactless 'joke' because of the rap context.
I distrust second guessing the intentions behind what people say - so many people express themselves badly that it would be possible to hang all of us on the evidence of our own words. Surely her explanation of what she said has as much validity as how other people interpret it?
I will reserve judgement until I have actually seen the incident and can see if she meant to be abusive. She has certaiinly been unpleasant to Charley in the past -but would he be so stupid as to show her dislike in that particularly unpleasant way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:57 pm 

I agree, Marion. That's why I added the (a) Was this part of rap dance 'excitement'? and I suspect this was what it was all about judging by the transcript. I think one has to guess at intentions - and we may never be right. A screening of the incident would help but probably not be conclusive. We shall see.
des

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:42 pm 

Emily's eviction was an ugly business. Was it necessary to drag her from her bed in the wee small hours and chuck her out in her nightie and, as she pointed out, 'with no underwear on'? Was it really necessary to lead her into explaining and apologising, then telling her she was being removed?
All that was missing was a large church candle for her to carry, and a cart behind which to whip her through the streets of London.
The whole scanario REEKS of self righteousness. And the funny thing is, much as I disliked Emily, I think she was gauche rather than racist, trying to be cool and streetwise rather than abusive.
Charley is milking this for all she's worth - not offended, she says, but running round the house dropping broad hints, winding up the loyal Shabs to tackle Emily and then trying to play the good guy by telling her to drop it.
Her head's full of wee whirring motors - and now she's talking about how she'll be all over the papers next day - such joy. Tough, Charley - you're nobody's idea of a victim.
Poor Ziggy - crying for his dog. Probably better company than motor mouth Charley.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:56 am 

I agree with that, Marion. Channel 4 never get the difficult situations right.

Emily seemed to use the term with an 'affectionate' or a friendly master-servant patronising intention. That intention may even have been sub-conscious. Many people did once use that term in that way, even certain races about themselves. They stll do. It was once used on TV comedy.
I cannot condone it in any circumstances and I don't think anyone is trying to do so.
Inexcusable, of course. Eviction was inevitable. I suppose they had to give the opportunity for Emily to explain herself in the diary room before she knew she was to be evicted, but it should have been done about 10 am, not 3 when she was already asleep.

As to upsetting the wider public, I'm sure many things on BB upset the wider public, without the apparent need for eviction.

Lesley seemed to come into her own when given an important job to read BB's message to the group about this situation. She'll probably not leave now. She's been crowned as the most reliable housemate with powers to scold and organise.

I wonder what would happen if the twins merged by inverse symbiosis. A butterfly back to its chrysalis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:25 pm 

I think they have always been merged merged - they only have one personality -if that much - between them! I switched on Ch4 when I got home today and there they were - flittering, wittering and waving their arms about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:12 pm 

Pre-Raphaelite swimmers from Waterhouse's 'Hylas' - seen to be two-dimensional when peeled from his canvas to take on a mere flittery motive force. Twin-dimensional within imaginary mirrors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:28 pm 

Interlude: Auntie Lesley should run an Infants School. She'd be very good at that. And that quote about a pineapple - was that real? We should invite her on to the poetry thread when she gets out.

Shabs was the most mature in her reaction to the Emily situation, I felt.

And the twins ... chick peas ... weight loss ...
I really do think , like many twins, they have secret signs and secreat codes, even a whole seceret language...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:43 pm 

Dying for a pineapple - loved it!
And the chick peas and weight loss!

Lesley and the Flitters saved the show tonight. I had come to the point of silently screaming 'SHUT UP, CHARLEY!' when I was saved from rage by this cool threesome. Their refusal to get involved in the pettiness is SO refreshing!
Then there waqs Nicky - I've liked her until now. But the wine episode - what a mean pinched little face she has when counting crumbs and sips. And what a targe when she pursued Ziggy intot he bedroom. one of hese days some man is going to clock her one...
The shoaling behaviour of the girls is beginning to irk also. Can't get any of them go anywhere alone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:11 pm 

Oh, dear...the new HMs :?

One is gay but fancies a change (dear God, don;t let him experiment on our twinnies)

And the other offers himself up to men on the London Underground. And he gets takers...

Brink back Dan and Richard!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:38 am 

Who are Dan & Richard? :?

Not inspired by my as yet brief glimpse of the two new men.
It'll be me next, btw.
des

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:12 am 

BTW, 'shoaling', Marion?
Is that a term in psychological profiling or did you make it up? If the latter - brilliant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:23 pm 

Dan andRichard =- former HMs blessed with some wit and charm.
'shoaling' - psychologist's term for group behaviour.
Oh, Des - Lesley has GONE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:36 pm 

Oh no!! :( :( :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:49 pm 

Oh, yes! :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:05 pm 

I have to say my current favourite Housemate is Shabs. I don't know how genuine she is but if she is genuine, then she's a nice girl, full of eagerness to please - belying her slicing looks.

Quite like Gerry. Not sure about Seany. He seems to be a serial minority bandwagoner.

Still hate the Cliff Richard clone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 294  Next