Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:20 pm 

Another Halloween, another "Saw" movie, only this time in 3D. Trailer here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVQZIJr6z2g

That actually looks quite intriguing, with a cinema audience getting captured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:58 am 

I'm currently having a bit of a 'Saw' marathon on Blu-Ray so I can watch this at the cinema. The previous films certainly seem to require a lot of attention in terms of plot continuity rather than the usual horror sequel fare.

The first time I saw the origianl 'Saw' I wasn't that impressed, it seemed frankly ludicrous, but the more I've seen it (and the more the other films have added layers to the plot) the more I enjoy it. Great stuff.

'Saw II' has some good character development for Jigsaw, and the twist concerning the outcome of the main character in jeapardy is excellent, but in most respects I found this quite inferior. The idea of several people caught in one big trap never quite comes off, and the film suffers from the pretty bad acting at times.

Out of all of them I've seen so far, I've found 'Saw III' to be by some margin the best in the series. The best character development, the build up and resolution is the most satisfying, and the final twist is just plain nasty.

'Saw IV' has a central twist concerning its construction so audacious it confused the hell out of me when I first saw it, and demanded an immediate rewatch in order for me to fully understand it in context of the previous films. Having said that, the film as a whole is a bit of a fractured mess, and with all the hopping between time-frames and characters it lacks a strong central hook to draw you through the film. A mess, but still, quite an interesting one.

I should have enough time to see parts 5 & 6 before this opens!

On the whole, whilst I'd hesitate to call any of the individual films great works of art, and they are often clumsy and heavy-handed at times, there is something about the very writerly focus of the nestled plot construction and demand for multiple layers of twists that I find very interesting and attractive. With most franchise sequels (eg: 'Friday the 13th', 'Nightmare on Elm Street' etc) you can pretty much leave your brain at the front door - all you need to know is the general premise ('Zombie in hockey mask kills randy teens' etc) and do a slight variation in terms of cast and setting for the latest rehash. Even if they don't always work brillaintly, I do admire the fact that the 'Saw' films do require you to engage your brains, and the scripts really do seem like the bedrock of the films, rather than an afterthought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:44 pm 

Well, having caught up with parts 5 (average) and 6 (a great return to form) I've just got back from Saw 3D at the cinema. It was OK - not a bad film - but not a particularly good one either, and something of a backwards step after the strong part 6. I think by this point they have simply run out of steam. The 'saw survivors help group' is a nice idea, but the run through the various traps seems rather formulaic, and there's a lack of any real new ideas for the most part. Even the big final twist is one that the series has pulled twice before, Curiously the 3D wasn't that impressive - unlike the cheesy Piranha 3D I don't really felt it added anything to the experience.

But still - after 6 previous films I was interested to see how it all turned out with the various soap opera character details. But it really needs to stop at 7 now, unless someone can come back in a few years with a radica retake on the material which doesn't rely on a parade of traps every ten minutes.