Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: I Am Legend
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:37 am 

Matheson's I Am Legend is due for another film adaptation I see, due out early next year and starring Will Smith as Neville. It will be the third version of Matheson's book to be put on celluloid (or is it digital now?), and hopefully will be an improvement upon the previous two. The first being the 1964 version and starred Vincent Price, the other being perhaps the more well-known Omega Man and starring Charlton Heston. Omega Man was so so, I suppose, watchable if you over-looked the dried custard used as the make-up on the vampire/zombie thingies. There's a downloadable trailer to Smith's offering and it doesn't look too bad, it's directed by Francis Lawrence who directed Constantine which was quite enjoyable, so who knows?

I wonder how close the story will stick to the book this time?

Debut novel site: http://www.flamesofherakleitos.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:46 am 

There's a trailer here:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/iamlegend/

I'm sure this will be a very silly film, but as one of the (possibly few) people on this forum who has not yet read I Am Legend, I can't really comment further!

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject: Re: I Am Legend
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:32 am 

Bob Lock wrote:
I wonder how close the story will stick to the book this time?

I've resigned myself to the fact that we'll never see a truthful adaptation of Matheson's story, and therefore with that in mind and after watching the trailer it looks pretty good, in a film story which just so happens to have the same title.

The film looks more of a US-version of 28 Days Later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:10 am 

All our fears about this adaptation have been confirmed by the looks of things...

I Am Not Legend

I'm a fan of Joe's work and read his excellent blog regularly and from what he's written about I Am Legend I think it will be one of those films I won't bother going to the cinema to see but wait until the dvd arrives in my local library..

Debut novel site: http://www.flamesofherakleitos.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:24 pm 

Bob Lock wrote:
I think it will be one of those films I won't bother going to the cinema to see but wait until the dvd arrives in my local library..

I gave up on film adaptations after the travesty that was Black Beauty (the thing with Mark Lester, bet Anna Sewell was spinning) but I could be tempted by the spectacle of the really buff Will Smith. Must be some mid-life angst thing. :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:46 am 

BBC7 are broadcasting the original I AM LEGEND in episodes this week and their site has a listen again option. If you have a sound recorder like Polderbit you can obviously capture the output and save as an audio file ,wav or .mp3 just as you like. All free and legal... hurry though listen again only lasts for a week. This is a very reasonable reading of the text.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbc7/listenagain/monday/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:10 am 

The Seattle Times newspaper has panned the film completely. They gave it one and a half stars out of a possible five. They didn't like the zombies much, either...

The Escape Velocity Magazine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:09 pm 

Should we go and see it or does that encourage more of the same?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:38 pm 

Apparently, Will Smith saves the world!

Nice to see a talented actor stretching themselves, eh?

Me blog: http://dylan-fox.blogspot.com/
And if that's not enough, I'm on Twitter, too: Foxie299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:48 pm 

Is there a 'proper SF' movie that wasn't panned by non SF literate critics first time round?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:21 am 

Well, some were not panned. Hey...I would like the film to be a big hit and a good addition to the sci-fi mix as much as anyone else. But initial signs are NOT good.

The Escape Velocity Magazine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:17 am 

Roy wrote:
Is there a 'proper SF' movie that wasn't panned by non SF literate critics first time round?

Probably Primer. Or so I'd hope...

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:47 am 

I thought 2001 got a good reception first time around. Possibly just people looking back through rose-tint, though--I wasn't old enough to remember anything personally.

Me blog: http://dylan-fox.blogspot.com/
And if that's not enough, I'm on Twitter, too: Foxie299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:30 pm 

From Wiki ...."Upon release, 2001 polarized critical opinion, receiving both ecstatic praise and vehemently negative criticism. Some critics viewed the original 160-minute cut shown at premieres in Washington, New York and Los Angeles,[14] while others saw the general release version that was in theaters from April 6, 1968 onwards, for which Kubrick had removed 19 minutes of footage. In The New Yorker, Penelope Gilliatt said it was "some kind of great film, and an unforgettable endeavor...."

"However Pauline Kael said it was "a monumentally unimaginative movie",[23] and Stanley Kauffmann of The New Republic called it "a film that is so dull, it even dulls our interest in the technical ingenuity for the sake of which Kubrick has allowed it to become dull."[24] Renata Adler of The New York Times wrote that it was "somewhere between hypnotic and immensely boring."[25] Variety's 'Robe' believed the film was a "Big, beautiful, but plodding sci-fi epic...."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:27 am 

I saw the press screening of <em>I Am Legend </em>recently. It's not bad. They've taken some liberties with the plot, the vampires (or dark-seekers as they are here) are composed of some of the worst CGI ever committed to celluloid and there's some drippily sentimental scenes but overall it's okay.

Will Smith is pretty good as Robbie Neville, showing his mental state gradually deteriorating due to his isolation -- in some respects the film is <em>Castaway</em> with vampires. The problem is the film tries so hard with the quiet scenes that they start to drag on and then the filmmakers overcompensate with the action scenes with bullets flying everywhere and explosions that engulf entire city blocks.

The vampires themselves seem inconsistent in terms of intelligence and their physical abilities. And as I said the CGI is bloody awful.

The worst thing though is the ending. I won't give it away but be prepared for it to be nothing like the novel.

The people I saw it with all hated the film much more than I did saying that it had been turned into a typical Will Smith vehicle. But I think there's a simple antidote to that attitude. Whenever you think the film is getting a little too glib or is focusing too much on the action in order to make Smith look good just think how much worse it would have been if it had been made with the original choice of star. Arnold Schwarzenegger.