Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Doctor Who: Midnight
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:27 am 

Russell T Davies excelled himself last night. Perhaps he's after a BAFTA as a swansong.
Seriously, this was brilliant ensemble acting in the old-fashioed style. Very well scripted and synchronised. And the acting was brilliant, even David Tennant's acting, but especially Lesley Sharp's.

It was very frightening, I thought.
des

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:51 pm 

Plotless bobbins!

Well, okay, I enjoyed it. But if I just say "I enjoyed it" I have nowt to complain about ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:03 am 

I have to say, I really wasn't impressed by this episode.

I can understand why people like it so much, and so far I'm the only person who wasn't impressed.

My problems are that the, 'stuck in an enclosed space facing an unknown enemy' is an old story and this didn't add anything new to it. Frayed emotions, people turn on each other, the real monsters are the humans etc etc. That and the Doctor's continuing habit of looking for a way to sacrifice himself. In at least half of the episodes this series (counting two-parters as one) he's thrown himself into situations which will solve the problem, but also kill him, only to have someone else sacrifice themselves for him at the last minute.

Lesley Sharpe was very good though, and creepy. I kept on having to remind myself that it was the same actress, and her shouting, 'she said she'd get me' was a very nice touch. We never get to find out. And the fact that the Doctor told Donner -- also very good, very telling of their relationship.

Dreading the last episode, though. Really, really dreading them.

Me blog: http://dylan-fox.blogspot.com/
And if that's not enough, I'm on Twitter, too: Foxie299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:34 am 

Well, as we're near the end of the run, I'll finally admit my opinion.

I love the new Doctor Who, don't get me wrong. It's the only thing that I make sure I watch if I know it's on (aside from Rugby internationals, which means I'm a bit upset with the football as it's pushed the summer tours off the screen). Christopher Eccleston was very good, David Tennant is amazing, if hammy. It's a comparison that reminds me of Face/Off. Nicholas Cage is over the top and great as the bad guy. Then John Travolta does the bad guy and you realise that it can catually be even more over the top and amazing.

But back to Who. I enjoy it, and I think it's well put together. It's just that I sit there going, 'I see why they did this, they're going for this reaction.' Like a lot of exciting, fast paced tv, they fool us with lots of quick movement and loud, quick speech, so that we think that something is really going on. A lot of the time it isn't. That said, Doctor Who usually has the dramatic content to go with these tricks if not the science.

I didn't enjoy this particular episode as much as some. The reactions of the passengers was spot on. Tennant's hyperactivity and previously mentioned fast-paced routine just didn't really work for me in this particular confined space. His fear didn't seem real until he was trapped. Lesley Sharp was excellent. And, of course, the basic premise has been done so many times that it seemed a bit worn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:37 am 

I thought this episode was really interesting. A few thoughts sprang to mind:

1/ It was a good opportunity, well taken, to explore that thing the Doctor is always going on about - how humans are so wonderful. As viewers we know that's idealistic at best, and this episode rubbed his face right in the other side of humanity. So, maybe he's going to go off us a bit?

2/ Yes, we've seen this kind of set-up before. It's a classic "monster in the house" set-up. From The Thing to Halloween. But we're all well versed in genre/thriller conventions and loads of viewers - especially the younger ones - will be new to it. So that's as good a reason as any to re-use it.

3/ Sacrifice. Yeah, it seems to be becoming a theme for this season, doesn't it? Perhaps the Doctor is going to become frustrated with the number of people who have laid down their lives for him? Perhaps we'll get a slo-mo montage? Hopefully not, but it'd be a way to make a point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:22 pm 

Journeymouse wrote:
Like a lot of exciting, fast paced tv, they fool us with lots of quick movement and loud, quick speech, so that we think that something is really going on. A lot of the time it isn't.

I have to say, I agree. It reminds me of the parlor walls from Fahrenheit 541. I just have to keep reminding myself that, well, I'm not the intended audience. Dinner time on Saturday isn't the time for twenty-something sic-fi fans. Who was designed to be a kids' programme and, with a few wobbles, it always has been.

Still, guilty pleasure -- expecting too much and acting disappointed when I don't get it :D

Me blog: http://dylan-fox.blogspot.com/
And if that's not enough, I'm on Twitter, too: Foxie299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:51 pm 

Apparently, there's an episode of The Twilight Zone which is remarkably similar. In that, aliens seize an aircraft, the passengers all turn on each other, and at the end the stewardess sacrifices herself - and none of the survivors can remember her name...