Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:24 pm 

Got my IZ.

And The Holy Machine rocks!
His style and prose are so fluid. A fine storyteller.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:46 pm 

Galaxie500: I think everyone in this issue writes in English? Can't swear for the others, but though English is not Rochita's first language, it's the one she writes in. Or did you mean this in a general fashion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:22 am 

I meant in general fashion.
That includes you, Melanie Fazi, Sara Genge from Asimov's (although I'm not sure if she is part American), Elanby and Rochita, Lavie Tidhar,
Zoran Živković (although nothing by him has been published in Interzone recently) and some others.
I like to see good SF or fantasy from other countries and not only USA.
British new wave with Moorcock and Ballard (by the way he's still one of my favourite authors regardless of genre) stirred SF community in the sixties.
I like Lem and brothers Strugatsky, Phillipe Curval, Gerard Klein or Sam Lundwall. I'd like to read more SF from other countries (Oh, I have lots of books of Russian and European SF that have been translated to Croatian or English, and some German), but I don't speak French or Spanish, so I have to wait for Americans to translate something (like Morrow's European SF, or Sf from Latin America).
It would be great to see more of these authors in American SF magazines (like Johana Sinisalo), but I think that translations are problem.
F&SF ocassionally published some European SF, but I don't remember Asimov's published anything translated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:15 am 

It's been a while since I logged into these forums (RL duties constrict my online time). I received Interzone 229 early this week (Monday morning. Thank you for the kind words on Alternate Girl's Expatriate Life. I'm thrilled to be in Interzone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:21 pm 

Ah, ok, makes more sense. Won't argue with you there--I think Anglophone/US SF is dominating way too much of the field, and it sure would be nice to have other points of view and more diversity.

Sara is half Spanish and half American, but she's lived in Spain most of her life, so I don't think she really counts as American even though she's bilingual.

Gerard Klein is good, and so is Jean Claude Dunyach. And I so wish I could read Russian SF other than the little that's been translated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:35 pm 

The biggest problem is the cost of translating, I would assume. Which magazine publisher nowadays has the resources to pay for translations? For their 'foreign' stories, they depend on whatever translations happen to get submitted.

So currently the onus is on the non-Anglophone writer to produce English texts of their work. I translate my own stuff, or I write in English -- but only as far as I'm comfortable with that. Some of my texts are too idiomatically or culturally "Dutch" for my limited capacities to attempt.

In a blog post a while ago Jeff VanderMeer proposed a translation fund driven by donations. Something like that might be interesting, provided it would attract first-rate translators: competition with native writers for those few magazine pages is already fierce. A bad translation lowers chances of publication even further.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:02 pm 

After many years of close association with a university modern languages department I think it's worth considering that there are lots of MA students looking for original translation projects. I could certainly discuss that with the new head of MFL here at Hull if some of you think it might be an interesting project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:23 pm 

Well, I do know that the couple French authors I spoke with mentioned how hard it was to find a good translator that wouldn't charge an arm and a leg for rendering their prose into English, so there would definitely be interest. Not quite sure what the modalities would be, though--would bear thinking about...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:56 am 

Arrived thoroughly roasted in the oven that is Vienna at some point this week. Looks gorgeous as ever :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:05 am 

JimHawkins wrote:
After many years of close association with a university modern languages department I think it's worth considering that there are lots of MA students looking for original translation projects. I could certainly discuss that with the new head of MFL here at Hull if some of you think it might be an interesting project.

Well, that's certainly an exciting idea.
There are ways to do a pre-selection of good text candidates for this - for example, in France, we have a couple of literary prizes (the GPI "Grand Prix de l'Imaginaire" and the Prix Rosny aîné) that are given every year to a novel and a short story. One can always argue that the chosen stories are not necessarily "the best" ones published that year, of course. But they are really good and worth being translated.

The problem you might find is that most of the French SF authors are not exactly fluent in English, which means that they might not be able to review the translation or to discuss with the would-be translator - the idea would be, for a MA student, not only to translate the text but maybe to comment, criticize and analyze it. But solutions for this can be found.
I like the idea, Jim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:12 am 

Perhaps a special "international" (or non-English) issue of Interzone could be considered, if it's worth pursuing?

Twitterific!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:42 am 

It might be wise to spread the genres a bit wider.

I'll discuss it with relevant people - but don't hold your breath because it's summer vacation time and most academics are "researching" on a beach somewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:33 am 

I'm glad that I provoked such a discussion.
I myself am not a writer, but I'm sure there are very good SF or fantasy writers in various European countries, who are frustrated by the fact they can't get published in major magazines, because of the language barrier and cost/benefit issues of translations to English.
In former Yugoslavia we had SF magazine called Sirius. Sirius was state owned, and it published great deal of SF from France, Russia, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Sweden and of course, Croatia, Serbia and other parts of ex-country, although majority had been from anglophone countries.

Since I read a lot of SF, and don't see almost any stories by the authors from the "rest" of the world, I think that Jim Hawkins idea is great. The only thing I can do is reccomend some Croatian authors, if this works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 am 

I'll move this to a new thread so don't reply here, about translated SF, but in the new thread in the General TTA section.

There is an EU grant system which is supposed to facilitate this but when I asked I got the distinct impression it was not for the likes of TTA - hence I gave up. Maybe an approach from elsewhere in the EU would do better. Andy looks at everything he is sent but publication in IZ or BS is far less certain.

Quote:
Support for translation projects. EU support for Literary Translation is aimed at enhancing knowledge of the literature and literary heritage of fellow Europeans by way of promoting the circulation of literary works between countries. Publishing houses can be awarded grants for translations and publication of works of fiction from one European language into another European language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:57 am 

Arrived (at last) today in perfect condition.

Delivery times seem to be slipping with each issue - was 8 days up to (and including) IZ 297, last one (IZ 298) was 19 days and this one 23 days (if it was posted on the 6th).

Not complaining (honestly) - although getting back to shorter times would be good - but just for your info.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next