Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:34 am 

Hello all, :D

Well, I've decided to go the whole E book thingy way. Got a Sony Reader about a month ago, and frankly, haven't looked back.

The only (very small) drawback is because it has a touch screen, it is a little more reflective than some of the other e readers out there.

I would personally (and I'm aware others may like it) not like to read a book on an IPad. The screen is too bright for my tastes. The e reader makes the reading process as close to the printed page as I need it to be at the moment.

I have been reading Interzone and Black static on the Iphone, which was ok in short bursts but now that I've uploaded them all to my Reader, well, bloody hell, the difference is phenomenal. Yes, I still prefer the printed page, but living over in Japan, which necessitates a somewhat less baggagey (it's a word now!) lifestyle, the e version is great.

Also, just downloaded Crimewave 10 from Fictionwise, so I'll let you know how my E reading adventures go with them in the future.

I got IZ 227, didn't see IZ 228 there though.

Any plans to make back issues available in E formats?

Cheers!

David

PS. Oh, btw, one other annoying thing about the Sony E reader is that you can only view the books in a list, rather than scroll to an author and then open another page that only lists their books. there is an ABC directory on the side of the page so you can scroll quickly to the author you want, but, still...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:25 pm 

Thanks for that info David. Yes please let us know how you go on with F'wise and E readers. We have all Black Static back issues plus IZ issues back to number 211. I don't think we can ever post back issues beyond those because the authors in earlier issues of IZ and CW were not asked for permission to publish their stories in E versions.

What sort of files are readable on the Sony?

I may be able to supply a parcel of back issues of some of the missing the print editions if you know which issues you want and are prepared to consider the postage to Japan.

I'll ask Pete if he knows when 228 and 229 will be posted on F'wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:09 am 

Hi Roy,

Yeah, I'll let you know how Fictionwise is going. It seems a little erratic at times, the search function sometimes yields unusual results, but all in all, for me and the way my life is at the moment the combination of that and the reader is great.

The Sony reader can read Epub, Pdf, LRF, txt, rtf, and pretty much most of the standard formats. I think the old reader was only able to read the Sony proprietary format.

I also like the Sony as opposed to the Kindle because of my perceived prejudice against Amazon and some of their practices. I am so anti establishment aren't I :D . No, seriously, I don't want t feel tethered to one place, kind of like with Itunes and the Sony one just felt a bit more flexible.

I guess I know what i want it for, novels and the short stories in mags such as yours. Don't need color and don't need to be able to read a newspaper etc. It also saves me (and the rain forests a little) as I don't print out loads of versions of my own stories. I can upload to the Reader and make notes as well.

Cheers,

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:50 pm 

Thanks. Pete says he has posted 3 new issues for F'wise to release over the next 3 weeks. Whether they will is another matter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:30 am 

Both IZ 228 and BS 16 are now posted on F'wise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:11 pm 

It is good to see IZ 228 at fictionwise, but having had a quick scan I can report that 'mutant popcorn' is once again missing from both the pdf and epub versions.

ajohn
Leeds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:30 am 

Sorry to hear that John. We'll investigate and try to fix the problem (again). Meanwhile the missing Mutant Popcorn is on its way to you as a PDF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:44 pm 

Fictionwise updated with Interzone 229and Black Static 17. More due by year end I'm told. Sorry about the delays and my initial error, now corrected here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:14 pm 

Once again it is good to see the e-version of Interzone at fictionwise. I have it on my e-reader, and guess what is missing from the file (both epub and pdf versions)........

once again mutant popcorn is missing...........

ajohn
leeds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:58 pm 

Again ajohn! I'll tell Pete and see what can be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:54 pm 

Fictionwise updated withBlack Static 18 and Interzone 230. Today on page 2 of TTA's F'wise page at #37 and #41 respectively. These numbers should change to something closer to 1, 2, 3 or 4 fairly soon we expect.
If you see any faults again please let us know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:11 pm 

Mutant popcorn is missing from the epub and pdf versions of IZ230, in keeping with previous issues. This is despite the fact that in this issue there is celebration of 25 years of mutant popcorn film reviews..

ajohn
leeds

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:57 pm 

Thnkas ajohn. I've not heard from Pete but have told him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:01 am 

I've put in a request to Fictionwise. I'll let you know when I hear that it has been repaired.

Cheers,
Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:00 pm 

Hey all,

Just floating by again. Downloaded the last few IZs from Fictionwise so looking forward to having a good read this weekend. Looks like some interesting stories.

I think if I was in the UK, I'd try and get hold of the print copy, but I love the convenience and the immediacy of using my e reader (I also spend a lot of time bemoaning how people are addicted to the immediacy of things nowadays, nothing wrong with a few double standards here and there!)

Anyway, the e editions look great, and the stories and articles were relatively easy to click on so I could jump around easily enough within the issue.

I was wondering if it would be possible to put a page number next to the story/article in the contents page. At least if I can't click on the touch screen I can type in the page number and be close enough.

Ultimately though, just real happy that IZ is available in an e version.

Best wishes to you all for 2011 :)

David R-T

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next