Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:20 pm 

I am interesting in downloading the e-versions of Interzone from fictionwise. I have done this with Asimov's SF and have been pleased with the convenience of it. However, interzone #224 is the last one that fictionwise are offering. Have they given Interzone up? I know there have been changes at fictionwise but they manage to put Asimov's and Analog e-versions out promptly.

ajohn in Leeds, UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:54 pm 

Good on you aJohn. We do have problems with timing on Fictionwise as you may read upthread and on our E mags thread.

F'wise are slow to upload our issues and Pete the electronic editions editor "told me that he's expecting Fictionwise updates on January 18th and 25th, theoretically. Not sure which issue of what when but with F'wise I'm not sure any prediction is worthwhile at present."

Quoting myself there on 9 Jan so not great so far. But we hope IZ 225 will be up soon, maybe tomorrow but Californian time. No promises but they will arrive. So I hope you do subscribe and let us know if there are any problems with reading them.

Incidentally do you ever find faults in F'wise files occur with the other SF magazines?

Can I ask, for market research purposes only, what reading device or type of device you use. Eg phone, laptop, e reader etc?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:43 pm 

Hi Roy

Thank you for your speedy response.

i do not have an e-reader, though the Sony e-reader is on my wish list. I read emags and ebooks on my netbook. I read pdf files, and with these I rotate the page 90 degrees so it fits nicely on the 10 inch screen. I find this very convenient and similar to reading a normal book.
the pdf files of Asimov's and Analog have been essentially free of errors (just a few typos), but they lack virtually all the artwork and there are no adverts. As the emags are available in multiformat I might try some other versions in due course. I have set up Adobe digital editions but have not yet tried anything with it.

By the way, now that Borders have gone from the UK, is there any other high street outlet for Interzone (or, for that matter, other TTA titles and even Asimovs, F&SF, etc)? Waterstones, at least in Leeds, do not stock magazines.

ajohn
Leeds UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:02 pm 

Some branches of Forbidden Planet carry Interzone. You can find your nearest here. Failing that, there are several independent shops, although I couldn't tell you if there are any in the Leeds area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:21 pm 

Any newsagent, even Smiths, can order Interzone for you. Smiths won't stock them in shops unless we pay them lots of cash 'up front'.
Waterstones in Manchester told me their new policy was not to stock magazines.
I'm afraid FP is somewhat hit and miss these days as well.

See also the In the Wild thread and please tell us how you get on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:39 am 

There is still no sign of issues 225 or 226 at fictionwise. Would a fictionwise subscription to interzone actually be fulfilled?

As background, I subscribed to interzone from 1991 until 2004. I stopped because of a job change and I did not have time to read so much. Copies of IZ were piling up un-read, so i did not renew my subscription. Now I am getting back into the swing of things again and regard interzone as an old friend with whom I am renewing my aquaintance. But not at fictionwise!

ajohn, Leeds, UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:41 pm 

As usual with F'wise we were let down. I'll try to find out what's happened. Very sorry about that.

Why not try a normal dead tree subscription? Only £21 (£3.50 each) and bimonthly so you won't be overwhelmed. It makes sense.

We can make sure you start with 225 or 226 or even earlier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:11 pm 

I will probably get around to (re-)subscribing to the paper version of IZ before too long. Lately I had been picking up copies from a convenient Borders (R.I.P).
I like the convenience of e-books and e-mags, hence my interest in e-interzone. I am coming round to the view that there is a big future for the e-format. Perhaps Apple's ipad and iBooks will stoke up even more interest.
If the e-form has a big future, TTA may need a better e-partner.
iBooks?

ajohn, leeds UK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:19 pm 

You could well be right about a new e partner but, even so, at present there is no colour in ebooks and few illustrations. These, even when only the cover has colour, are important to making a magazine rather than a book. Take all that away and the magazines begin to morph into bi-monthly anthologies.

The iPad is not going to do it as its battery will not be good enough to power it on long journeys with big books and no recharge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:26 pm 

I know you've heard it before but Pete has phoned F'wise and been told everything should be sorted now. He suspects another Snafu with converting to B&N. He expected to upload BS15 yesterday and from what F'wise said all new issues should appear by February 22nd. Pete, and I, are crossing fingers it happens as promised.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:35 pm 

Roy wrote:
The iPad is not going to do it as its battery will not be good enough to power it on long journeys with big books and no recharge.

Ten hours?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:30 pm 

A US flight is often longer. Can we believe that figure?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:50 am 

Was actually just wondering about 225, so I guess this is the answer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:19 am 

Do we know why uploaded things take so long to actually appear on fictionwise?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:13 pm 

Fictionwise have not been forthcoming this week but I have been told There should be two coming out this coming Monday, (1st March) then one for each of the following two Mondays.

We live in hope.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next