Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:06 am 

Another good issue of Interzone.
I think that The Fix review was to harsh.
Everything that Matters reminded me of one of my favourite SF stories, The Doors of His Mouth..., by Zelazny. It's not that good, but very enjoyable read.
Jason Sanford is turning into one of the most promising young authors. All of his three stories published this year are excellent, especially two published in Interzone. When Thorns... is just as good as the previous one and both of them would have been in my Best of the Year collection if my name were Gardner.
The Shenu is well written urban fantasy, and that is the only story in this issue I could do without, because there's nothing interesting going on in it.
The Fifth Zhi is another very good story by Mercurio Rivera, but the february one would be in my Best of and this one would miss it by an Angstrom.
Gord Sellar is another in the batch of new talented writers and obviously obsessed with some kind of positive terrorism (see his Asimov's story) if such a thing exists.
The Country of the Young is well written, Ji Ah is very believeable character, and inevitable end is excellent finish to the great story.
Butterfly falling at Dawn is the second story set in Mexica alternate future, in fact a mystery, and as the mystery it wouldn't be so good were it not for the subtext of refugees. And that's what gives this story positive mark.
Al in all, very good issue with two outstanding stories and two very good, and not a single bad one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:04 pm 

Another good issue, though I'd have to add another shout out to 'When Thorns Are the Tips of Trees' as the highlight of the fiction, closely followed by 'The Country of the Young' and 'The Fifth Zhi'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:54 pm 

Just to add my penny's worth, I thought 'When Thorns...' was an excellent story, and if I remember rightly in thinking the previous submission was the 'ships in the rain' story (sorry, don't have the magazines to hand to check titles) then I'm liking this writer a lot.

I'm always impressed with Interzone and have never been disappointed with an issue. Thanks for such a frequent variety of stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:15 am 

Review on Best SF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:50 pm 

Review at The Barking Dog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:04 pm 

Highlight of the fiction for me was "The Country of the Young", which was a very realistic depiction of what a growing age difference would do to a marriage, set in a chillingly believable universe. Also enjoyed very much "Everything that Matters", which was a fun read with its tongue firmly in its cheek from beginning to end--you have to love the excruciating reconstruction of the poor protagonist and his plans for getting the girl and the treasure :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:48 am 

Highlight of this issue for me was 'When Thorns are the Tips of Trees', which although it was almost entirely spiritual rather than political or speculative had a very good feel to it, was original and well thought-out, and was moving and honest. Very good stuff.

'Butterfly Falling' was also a memorable story for me, not just because of the plot itself (which was gripping but unremarkable mystery), but because of the background which was one of the most well constructed alternative histories I've come across. (I don't thing I've read the other stories in this setting.) One of our reviewers compared it favorably to another modern Aztec story, with the words: "The culture that results from this twisting, mixing, and subverting is not quite the same as anything in our real world." And that's the point: so many alternative histories assume that if a certain empire hadn't fallen, then a thousand years later they'd be just the same as they were in the historical record, just with modern technology. Which is so not the case.

'The Country of the Young' was an excellent speculation on what anti-aging technologies might mean for us in a realistic political context. I've read other stories on this topic recently, and this one stands out among them for taking a cynical, pragmatic, but human angle.

The other three stories were also all good. This was a rare issue with no duds at all, in my opinion. (Rare not for IZ, which is usually good, but for any magazine.)

*Now reading for Feminist Science Fiction themed issue*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:51 pm 

Colin Harvey reviews IZ219 in Suite 101

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:56 pm 

SF Crowsnest review
SFRevu review