Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: BLACK STATIC 29
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:21 pm 

I quite like the feel of it yet, and it'll fit in my bag quite well, but I haven't started reading it yet.
Interzone arrived on the same day in a seperate envelope, I thought they were to be bundled together to save on postage?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:33 pm 

Finished reading it and I've come completely around to the new format - it handles very well.

Enjoyed the columns as usual, and the reviews.

As for the fiction:

"Sunshine" - Nina Allen: very much enjoyed this. Subtle, somehow horrific in quite a sly way, and it cunningly invented its own mythos without over-explanation.

"Horseman" - Renee Carter Hall: didn't buy into this piece at all. Didn't feel that original and couldn't suspend my disbelief at the main character's acceptance of the situation. Not real enough for me.

"Chodpa" - Baph Tripp: again, I struggled with this. I felt it tried too hard to be different, when actually, it wasn't. To be honest, this is the first Black Static story I've found myself skipping...

"Shark! Shark!" - Ray Cluley: Nothing short of brilliant! Loved the self-referential, film-referential style which was pitched perfectly. And as posted earlier, the audacity to conclude it with 'fin' summed up the playfulness for me. My favourite story this year.

"The Counterweight" - Tim Lees: Enjoyed this story of a psychic vampire although not sure if it brought much new to the subject. Well told, however.

Ultimately a mixed issue for me, but the standout stories (Nina and Ray) were worth the cover price alone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:20 pm 

Still waiting patiently for my copy to arrive. *drums fingers on tabletop* (Curses Canada Post). :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:03 pm 

quick vote for the new format, liked it a lot

www.bugpowderdust.co.uk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:21 pm 

Also still waiting for my copy down under... I assume that Australia Post is checking it thoroughly to ensure that it doesn't contain any subversive stories about cane toads that support same-sex marriage and euthanasia before forwarding it on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:29 pm 

Canada and Australia are late now. Has it arrived in the USA yet? It was posted out with IZ 241 w/e, but not on, 13 July - an ominous date - and a few people have had 1 but not the other.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:08 am 

Many thanks for your review, Des. :)

Another one has just appeared here on the Ginger Nuts of Horror website.

I hope those now long overdue overseas copies turn up soon...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:09 pm 

Good review, indeed. Perhaps they can fix the errors, though. "know" when it should be "now." "complimented" when it should be "complemented," and Nina's story is "Sunshine," not "Shine."

Still waiting for my copy. Really looking forward to checking out the new format.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:29 pm 

I've been trying to find out what might've happened to Canadian, Australian copies, now at least two weeks overdue. This is the response I received today:

"We have checked and there does not seems to be any problems our side, as you know we can't track it, probably a local postal problem in them countries."

It seems unlikely to me that Canada and Australia would experience the same problems at the same time, but there you go. I'm afraid this is the sort of response I've always received whenever there's been a problem, no matter which postal company I've used. It's the DHL school of customer service. "Not our fault. Not our responsibility."

Not much more I can do except hope that they turn up soon. If they don't, we'll have to assume them lost and I'll send replacement copies.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:25 pm 

No worries, Andy. I'm sure it'll turn up at some point. Canada Post is generally quite terrible, to be honest.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:09 am 

It's been my experience since relocating to Australia that the timeline for mail sent to or received from overseas is extremely unreliable here. But things aren't ALWAYS slow in showing up, and I had hoped that this issue of Black Static would avoid the curse... I'll be sure to let y'all know as soon as it manifests in my mailbox.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:17 pm 

Another great issue, although I couldn't get a feel for Chodpa at all... :? I really liked Horseman however!
As for the new format I think it was a good call. By the time you finish reading the magazine you won't even remember the old format..lol Sits nicely on the shelf too.. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:55 pm 

After extensive testing I can report that the new format is harder to read on a table, but easier to read in the bath. Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:03 pm 

Andy is reaching out to the 'read in the bath' demographic, but those who read at the table are simply rude :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:04 pm 

I have one tiny little design suggestion: it might be nice to have some text on the spine, just to tell all the issues apart when we have a few hundred of them lined up on our groaning shelves.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next