Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:55 pm 

Got mine today aswell. Looking forward to it.
Cover reminds me of the grandparents house. But I don't think we ever burnt holes in paper chains though!

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:57 am 

Ray's All New 'At a Glance' Review

I don't know about anyone else, but I always have a flick through Black Static before I tuck in to the reading. The newest landed on my doorstep yesterday (that's a metaphor really; I live in a block of flats and 'the newest was shoved in one of a number of postboxes' doesn't quite have the same ring to it) and so with greedy hands I tore off the plastic and began to flick.

First place to check - the subscription sheet, see if I need to renew. After that, it's a childish 'look at all the pictures' approach.

As I've already said, the cover's great (anything that reminds you of mustard gas suggests some pretty dark reading in my opinion) but tucked inside as a nasty surprise is that spider. Thanks for that. Why not just put beetles in my sandwiches, too, while you're at it.

'Because Your Blood is Darker Than Mine' gave a sense of unity regarding Black Static art - it made me think of the doll cover of 6 and the fly on issue 1 (though I've since realised it's probably a bee - not an expert on creepy crawlies as I usually just scream like a girl and look for something long to hit them with). The inspirational picture for 'Washer Woman' makes the story a very tempting read, too.

Then it's White Noise (Mr Straub's being a bit cheeky regarding 'Dark Skylark Matter') and a look at reviews, then I'm into the stories.

I don't read the stories in order. This isn't always a good idea as I nearly missed Robertson's 'Changeling' in issue 9, though realising as much did have an effect like discovering a hidden treasure. This time I went straight to 'Because Your Blood' on the strength of Coopers 'There's Something Wrong With Pappy' which I've praised elsewhere in the forum. If the best of Black Static ever happens (hint hint), Cooper will be getting one of my ticks for favoured writers. I won't go into 'Blood' except to say it's great, and what an opening first line! I'll be ordering 'The Midway' and 'You Are The Fly' later today.

So there you go, a review with barely any substance whatsoever and a new regular feature of the forum (just kidding). There may be no depth to it, but perhaps it's a niche in the review genre? I guess my point is I look forward to every copy of the magazine, as no doubt so many do, and rumage through each new copy like a kid shaking presents on Christmas Eve. I can't wait to read it fully...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:44 am 

'You are the Fly' is a great collection. 'In Fetu' in particular is one of the strongest, most unnerving stories I've ever read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:04 am 

Yeah, I'll definately be buying it. Just found myself quoted on Mr Cooper's site regarding Pappy, which was a nice surprise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:49 am 

really enjoyed fowlers 'piano man' my kind of story - the collection mentioned about 'places and societies where the supernatural is believable' sounds great and deffo one i'll be getting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:30 am 

Arrived today in perfect condition - so, just one week to get here (SW France), excellent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:06 pm 

Thanks for the generous comments, guys! I'm flattered.

Hope you like the books, Ray.

James

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:08 am 

Got mine yesterday in Split, Croatia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:28 pm 

Recommended, Highly Recommended, Outstanding... It doesn't get much better. Colin Harvey's review at Suite 101.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 6:26 am 

Well, my issue arrived just in time for me to have some holiday reading - not sure if these tales will be particularly suitable beach reading whilst sunning myself in Cyprus, but I'll give it a go! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:29 am 

Sand in your Black Static - Nightmare!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:46 am 

Sam Tomaino's review at SF Revu.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:53 pm 

At Highlander's Book Reviews-

http://www.highlandersbooks.com/2009/05 ... -andy-cox/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 7:55 am 

Hmm, not sure how revealing this is:

Finally we come to “Eastlick” by Shannon Page, the story of a difficult adolescence as a young girl comes to terms, not only with her sexuality but other, darker, powers.

And I think 'Vic' was a bit under valued. I went with Vic being a reference to Victor Frankenstein myself, the story about constructing your child or doing whatever it takes to keep it alive, raiding the playground instead of charnal houses for parts. I loved it and thought, with Cooper's, it was one of the best in the issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 9:11 am 

A bit more BS10 love here, courtesy of Matthew Fryer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next