Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:34 am 

Very late in chiming in on this one, but I thought I ought to send out a quick note of appreciation for James Cooper, whose story was once again the highlight of this issue for me. As much as I enjoyed all the tales in #10, to my mind Cooper's story seemed to focus directly on the nightmares that the others only hinted at. Very impressive -think I'll have to get me a copy of 'You Are the Fly', once I've dragged myself out of crippling debt, etc, . :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:48 am 

I bought You Are The Fly recently on the strength of his Black Static work and I'm not disappointed . I'm making it last by treating myself to stories between other books, but it is tempting to splurge and read the whole lot. Kafkaesque seems an obvious accolade considering 'You Are The Fly' and 'A Frailty of Moths', but 'What Dread Hand' grabs you by the throat in a subtle way (like a friend slipping an arm around your shoulder before throttling you) and 'The Other Son' is heatrbreakingly wonderful.

At the risk of sounding like a James Cooper advertisement, buy it now!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:22 pm 

Thanks for the ego-rub, guys! Very gratifying. I'm delighted you enjoyed the stories and hope you'll have more to read in BS over the next few years.

James

Post subject: Black Static 10 review
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:19 am 

Review site, Tangent, is back online and features a review of Black Static, issue 10, by Bill Ward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:55 pm 

Thanks Splinister, BS 9 is there as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:53 pm 

Just finished reading this issue. Was a little behind as I read half at work and then didn't go to work for ten weeks (long story) before returning and being able to read it again.

All the columns, book reviews, and DVD reviews were excellent and illuminating. They really make the magazine a thoroughly enjoyable read.

"Piano Man" - a very strong story, with some evocative imagery. Ultimately, perhaps too obvious, but what the hell, I enjoyed it anyway.

"The Chair" - Well written, but perhaps too allegorical for me.

"Washer Woman" - Not bad, but didn't grab me. Wasn't keen on the accompanying artwork either, so perhaps my reaction to the story was tainted by that...

"Vic" - great story. Got the Frankenstein reference early on, but this added a layer rather than taking one away. Quite terrifying, if you really think about it.

"Because Your Blood Is Darker Than Mine" - Epic in many ways, with all the little touches coming together very strongly. Very disconcerting, surreal in places, but ultimately believeable which was it's strength.

"Eastlick" sneaks in front as my favourite in this issue. There's something inevitable about Lara becoming embroiled with Dana, and unlike lesser stories I cared about her enough to want to shout at her not to enter the house. The point where she's picked up again by Dru almost flips the story on its head, but her swift defiance and the realisation of her possibilities grounds it again. The final paragraph hammers it all home.

Good stuff :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:41 am 

This issue is now available as an eBook from Fictionwise and is half-price for the first week that it is on sale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 10:41 am 

Robert Morrish says some very nice things in the new Cemetery Dance (#63) about the "very impressive" Black Static in general and issue 10 in particular (they're a bit behind schedule), praising all contributors and especially James Cooper for his 'Because Your Blood is Darker Than Mine'.