Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:11 pm 

I'm currently sniffing around for a theme tune for a forthcoming SF-themed podcast, and am open to any suggestions that might be tossed this way.

There is a large body of free music available on the web--and by "free" I emphatically do *not* mean music that can be downloaded without paying any money (legally or otherwise), but music that is released under Creative Commons or similar licenses that allow re-use and adaptation of the kind needed to use as theme music. In particular I have been listening to titles at the CC_Mixter and Jamendo sites (I started putting together a playlist at the latter, just a few things that caught my ear, so far).

But there's a lot out there, as with music generally, and a lot of the time the kind of tune you'd want to use as theme music is not what you'd normally spend your evenings listening to. So I'd welcome suggestions of (a) specific tunes/bands to listen out for; (b) other sources of open-licensed music; (c) other approaches to finding good stuff.

Happy new year to all!

Djibril

*Now reading for Feminist Science Fiction themed issue*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:07 pm 

Let me ask this question differently. Where do you get the music for your podcast? Open license? Pay for it? Commission your own musician friends?

*Now reading for Feminist Science Fiction themed issue*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:22 pm 

I think the first time I even heard of a Creative Commons licence was during the release of Nine Inch Nails' Ghosts I-IV. The licence there is an Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike; I assume you understand the implications of that more than I do.

All 36 tracks on that album are instrumental, so they could well be soundtrack material, although I'd say they're largely within a certain forboding mood that probably evokes Godzilla or Cloverfield rather than outright SF.

P.S.: note to self: check dates before posting things.