Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Music to write to
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:46 pm 

Inspired by the 'listening to' thread, I was wondering if you all have favourites you like to write to, or music that has inspired a story more directly...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:11 pm 

Metal Machine Music. It also has the advantage of making all cats leave the room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:14 pm 

I make soundtracks depending on what I'm writing, sometimes it takes me an hour or two lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:13 pm 

I get distracted enough as it is. I usually put my fingers in my ears to shut out any outside influence and type with my elbows. Now you know why I 've only managed to get one novel published....

(well, that's my excuse) :oops:

Debut novel site: http://www.flamesofherakleitos.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm 

I'm with Bob on this - no outside distractions. I'm also the sort of purist who thinks that if writing/listening to music is worth doing then it deserves the whole of your attention, not just part.

I have had some great ideas come to me though while listening to Patti Smith and Tchaikovsky (not at the same time).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:52 am 

Yeah me too.

Silence. Absolute silence. I even get all grumpy if I can hear the telly from downstairs. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:01 am 

I used to write to music but now tend to listen to it and think then write later without it. My worry is that the music will do the atmosphere while I write and I'll forget to do my bit.

I used to do the soundtrack thing though. 'Now that's what I call music to write to' and 'The Best Writing Music Ever, 2' anyone...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:58 am 

I only have music on when I revise or re-work, and then only instrumental, and then only stuff I know that doesn't distract!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:39 pm 

Has to be instrumental - my brain gets distracted by lyrics. Some Merzbow noise does the trick! 8)

Post subject: Re: Music to write to
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:18 pm 

I'm used to only be able to write, edit, proofread in complete silence but then, well, it got so incredibly bored! So I'm slowly integrating some musical accompaniments but it's got to be pretty chilled out (I don't know about you) I love Jason Mraz, Joshua Radin, Gabrielle Aplin (ever since the John Lewis chrimbo ad - I'm a sucker for JL...) but I've also recently discoveerd Lauren Acquilina.

Mind you my playlists are quite repetitive and short that way I think I can zone them out when my brain strikes :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:36 am 

I did a blog post on this very subject last month: http://andrew-hook.blogspot.co.uk/2013/ ... music.html

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:37 pm 

Jim Steel wrote:
Metal Machine Music. It also has the advantage of making all cats leave the room.

Spoilsport.

Quips aside, I prefer to write in silence. For some of my stuff, I'll dig up a particular track and listen to it, only because it will appear in the story somehow.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:52 pm 

Usually Mogwai or the Aphex Twin's Analord EPs for me. Last year I listened to Drokk and Le Voyage dans la Lune a lot (I reviewed those here and here). Unless everyone's out at school or work, I always need something to cover the ambient noise caused by happy children.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:49 am 

This is a subject I’m very interested in, as music’s such an important part of my life.

I write a fair bit in silence – sometimes that’s the only thing that will work, and I find I write faster in silence. I’d say at least 90% of my music collection is unsuitable for writing to, but a few of my darker folk albums make a good backdrop: early Seth Lakeman (Dartmoor folklore) and Rachel Unthank & The Winterset’s ‘The Bairns’ are bleak enough to work.

Some of the Industrial/dark ambient/electronica albums I have are quite extraordinary in the state of mind they can induce, and I’ve been using this stuff for a long time. They don’t create ideas, but they can help me push things a bit further. Much of Coil’s work has connected in this way – Horse Rotorvator has accompanied me for decades (I've been obsessed by Coil since the mid-80s), but the Musick To Play In The Dark albums, Time Machines, Astral Disaster and the Moon’s Milk eps are also favourites. Bearing in mind the band were (both now sadly passed on) heavily into magick and paganism, it’s probably no wonder that their work can be such a springboard.

I ‘saw’ a whole story after playing Lustmord’s ‘The Monstrous Soul’ (again, this is decades old) and Cyclobe, Electric Sewer Age and Nurse With Wound have also been extremely useful. As has been stated (in Andrew's blog piece, I think) one piece or album virtually played on a loop is often the way to go. What is played definitely influences how and what I write, in terms of direction the details of a story may go.

Or else opening the skylight and focussing on the birdsong outside (if the seagulls decide to shut up) is good. Perhaps it’s the repeating patterns?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:27 pm 

Interesting post. I do find mood can be set very easily by music and having it on repeat enhances that mood and then transcends it (as I probably wrote in my earlier blog post). Recently I've written stories to Bjork's "Vespertine", Brigitte Bardot's "Initials BB", Nick Cave's "Push The Sky Away", Ellie Goulding's "Halcyon", and trance versions of music by Japanese songstress Ayumi Hamasaki. A very mixed bag!