Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Acts of Destruction
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:01 pm 

Next month, I’ll be self-publishing my new crime novel, Acts of Destruction, a police procedural set in a near-future London.

I’m hoping to promote it largely through word-of-blog - so if you’re a blogger, (or even an old-fashioned, stick-in-the-mud, paper and ink reviewer, like me) and you think you might be able to make use of a review copy, please PM me, or contact me via my website, www.matcoward.com where you can also see Dean Harkness’s great cover, and read the first two chapters of the book.

Ta, all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:45 am 

I started reading the first chapter late last night and want to read the rest. How much will the book cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:13 am 

Thanks, Roy, that's what I like to hear! It'll be a tenner, including p&p. I'll post a note here when it's available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:51 pm 

Read both chapters now and still want to read on but, and these might be explained later in the text, using a typewriter in the police station and no motorised bicycles?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:31 am 

There’s an electric bike in there somewhere, Roy! But wheeled transport is a subject I know nothing about, so I’ve kept the details a bit ... fluid.

Typewriter: this is the philosophy of 'appropriate technology,' rather than 'generational technology'; ie, you use the particular tool that’s appropriate to the precise task you're doing, rather than simply using the latest/most prevalent technology at all times. So, for certain jobs you would (and, indeed, I do) use a manual typewriter; for other jobs, you would use the most advanced, nanotech’d, chaos-theory computer. (Or, in my case, a PC that takes so long to close down that I’d probably be better off leaving it on ...)

Having said all that - I’m determined to try not to discuss this book too much. Most writers these days, it seems to me, spend more time talking about their books than they do writing them, which I think is a mistake for about half a dozen reasons. Writers should write, not talk. I’m hoping readers will do the talking. So, over the next few months, I am going to make a heroic effort to stay schtum ...

I’ll only add (in the sure and certain and sad knowledge that no-one will ever take any notice of what I’m about to say) that nothing* in this book is supposed to be “right.” Every single bit of it is supposed to be something that other people might find an interesting point of departure for thinking about, or talking about. This book is not a manifesto: it is a police procedural.

*(Except the many jokes, which are supposed to be excellent. And are.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:39 am 

The first edition of Acts of Destruction turns out to be the e-book - you can find it here http://www.fictionwise.com/servlet/mw?t ... 90310&si=0. Many thanks again to Elastic for arranging this for me.

Anybody here read e-books ... ? I think they’re a great idea, but I must admit I’ve never actually got round to reading one ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:50 pm 

The paperback of Acts of Destruction is now available. Price £10 (postage free) from Alia Mondo Press, c/o Elastic Press, 85 Gertrude Road, Norwich, NR3 4SG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:10 am 

First review:

Quote:
He has clearly given a lot of consideration to how society might have reacted to a range of challenges, and describes a consistent social and legal landscape for his characters to live in. This is achieved without tedious 'info-dumps' which can be the bane of such stories. Rather, entertaining conversations between older and younger characters provide essential background to why and how things are as they stand.
Laced with gentle humour and excellent characters it is a fun yet thought-provoking set of whodunits/whydunits/howdunits.

Highly recommended.

- a reader on the qi.com message board

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:42 pm 

If you want to order the paperback from outside the UK, the easiest way to do so is probably by buying it from the brilliant eco-logic books, at
http://www.eco-logicbooks.com/index.cfm?fa=home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:57 pm 

sounds good mate i'll have a check for this when payday rolls round.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:18 pm 

“funny, dark and charming” - Morning Star.

“splendid ... a fine story ...should be on everyone's summer reading list. Wicked sense of humour and tale that barrels along. We thoroughly enjoyed it.” - Eco-Logic Books

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:03 am 

Quote:
Nothing I’ve read in ages has made me think more than Mat Coward’s ‘Acts of destruction.’ I seem to have forgotten that it is possible to think there can be alternatives to the ways societies and economies function. There really hasn’t been much thought given in the arts to what might be possible to routinely survive without cataclysm if a drastic shift of priorities – fuel, food, weather – forces change upon us. ‘Acts of destruction’ is a humorous crime novel ... There is invention, wit and wisdom aplenty.
- Dave Quayle, Lillabullero.

(All of the tiny number of people who’ve read the book so far, without exception, have raved about it. Would I prefer that, I wonder? Or would I prefer it to be read by a million people, most of whom just shrugged? Difficult to say. Ask me after the next quarter’s electricity bill comes in.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:30 pm 

“I read very few crime novels these days, but I was in no way disappointed with this one ... it is a book which should spark discussion and bring some renewed hope ... I know of no other contemporary writer of fiction who is grappling with these urgent questions, and it was gratifying to find ideas of such import and imagination ... This is one to read and think about.”
- John Baker, author of ‘Death Minus Zero.’

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:23 am 

“A thought provoking book which works on multiple levels, both as entertainment and commentary, Acts of Destruction is an undeniably British but very accessible novel that demonstrates Coward’s imaginative verve and breezy, extremely readable style.” - Crime Scene Scotland.

http://crimescenescotlandreviews.blogsp ... crime.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:58 am 

“Thought-provoking, entertaining and stimulating ... hugely readable and enjoyable.” - Interzone.