Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Size of Interzone
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:57 pm 

I'd like to know how Interzone readers would feel if the magazine was a bit smaller, namely 170mm wide x 240mm tall. That's B5 I think. Interzone currently is an unnamed 200mm wide x 276mm tall.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of such a change, for you?

Probably less content, but then the page count could perhaps go from 64 to 80 to take care of that. The stories could perhaps be one column and a more natural read, yet the pages could still be big enough to allow a little flexibility when it comes to the non-fiction.

Would 240mm x 170mm be more handy? Pocket sized?

On the other hand, would it get lost more easily on a shop shelf?

But then these smaller pages would be colour throughout.

I'm not saying we're going this route, just that it cropped up during conversations about how and where we're going to print IZ in 2010, eg if it'll be in colour as opposed to b&w (in the current size), and it'd be interesting to hear your thoughts...

Last edited by Andy on Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:36 pm 

My preference would be to keep Interzone at its current size. I love the current looks of Interzone, and have heard from a number of people that this year the magazine really hit its stride design wise. The current size also makes the magazine stand out from the competition.

If the move to a different size is being considered as a means to afford returning color to the interior pages, I definitely wouldn't do that. I prefer having the interior pages B&W. I also find the current two columns per page design to be easier to read than magazines which go for a one column per page format.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:46 pm 

I agree with jason, I love the black and whites and I find the 2 column format very easy on the eye.

On the other hand if you guys will make more money from it then go for it.

The most important thing is the quality of the content so with iz u could get away with printing it on the back of recycled cornflake boxes and we'd still buy it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:17 am 

JasonSanford wrote:
If the move to a different size is being considered as a means to afford returning color to the interior pages, I definitely wouldn't do that.

Not at all, though I won't deny that it'd be considerably cheaper, which is how it cropped up in conversation. Nor will I deny that I consider considerably cheaper to be a very good thing! ;)

But a return to colour is what we were working out. It's funny, people often tell me they wish the magazine was in colour -- and it would have advantages, quite apart from being able to reproduce covers and films stills accurately, and original art in all its glory -- yet when the subject is brought up here people tell me they prefer black and white...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:39 am 

I think my only issue with interior colour is when it interferes with the readability of the text. As you say Andy, colour inside the mag would have a lot of advantages, and I think for me these outweigh the risks (I can only think of one or two instances - in what is it now, 5 years of TTA InterZone? - where interior colour has made small parts of a story tricky to read).

As for the change in mag size, hmm, I do quite like stories being divided into two columns rather than one larger column, but I don't think that would be a dealbreaker.

Oh, and I'll second what Jason mentioned about hearing a lot of people saying InterZone is doing a great job design-wise.

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:45 am 

I think B5 might allow two columns of text quite easily. Tries to think of an example... BBR! Wasn't that B5, latterly? If I'm not wrong, Chris Reed used that space incredibly. (He is a master, mind.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:19 am 

I'm very much in favour of full-colour throughout.
(Honestly, I can't understand why anyone would want to see colour artwork, or film stills & book covers, all published in b&w!)
If that requires a change to smaller format/size to make sure it's affordable, it's an acceptable compromise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:14 am 

Do take into account the most important thing is, as gileadslostson said, the content. And while I'd grumble at the smaller size, as long as the content and design standards are kept at the same great level I'd get over it.

Unless I miscalculated, this new size means Interzone would be about 25-30 millimeters taller and 25-30 millimeters wider than the current size of Asimov's and Analog. By bumping up to 80 pages, that might feel like a good size. But please tell me you aren't considering a move to pulp paper! :-) Also, would the smaller size help on other costs, such as mailing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:32 pm 

Andy,

Am I right in thinking that moving to B5 rather than an 'unnamed' format would give you much better costs and flexibility, based on that being a standard industry size?

I'm in favour of colour, even if it's limited colour but the key thing is to give you the scope to maintain quality and the lifespan of the magazine.

Novels:
Winter Song -- US launch May 2010
Damage Time -- UK launch May 2010
-- US launch June 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:25 pm 

I suspect cost savings are more likely to be down to how many pages fit on a press sheet.

Personally I'd prefer to maintain a two-column format in order to keep a good ratio between type size, column width, and leading (line spacing).

I did like the old full-colour issues, but as everyone else says, it's the strories that matter most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:25 am 

I would love to see full colour again.
I have most Interzones from 1 through to 225 and it has gone through a couple of size changes in that time, another would be fine with me.

Most of all keep up the great content, art work and design (love it, love it, love it).

"Happiness? Happiness... is to wake up, on a bright spring morning, after an exhausting first night spent with a beautiful... passionate... multi-murderess."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:55 pm 

I quite like the idea of a smaller size.
But hopefullly not smaller content! Especially stories.
Would going smaller mean just needing one staple in the middle rather than the current 2 which might save costs of production, or would 80 pages need to be perfect bound?
Colour I'm not too sure about. Would you be keeping text for stories black on white? Colour pictures is nice though.
Perhaps you could just go for it in the smaller size and gradually build up the colour content?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:36 pm 

Paul Woodward wrote:
Would going smaller mean just needing one staple in the middle rather than the current 2 which might save costs of production, or would 80 pages need to be perfect bound?

Can't say I would like the idea of only one staple, there would be nothing worse than having them fall to bits after a couple of readings.

"Happiness? Happiness... is to wake up, on a bright spring morning, after an exhausting first night spent with a beautiful... passionate... multi-murderess."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:11 am 

Would the size change just be for Interzone? Or would it apply to Black Static too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:27 pm 

Is there any news yet on whether the size is going to change?

:D