Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:29 am 

Just posting some of the praise that The Mask Behind the Face received. Not that I have a fragile ego in need of constant reassurance you understand ... by the way did I mention that Mask won a British Fantasy Award?

Anyway, here's the quotes, including some that coudn't be fitted on the cover of the new limited edition that goes on sale at WHC 2010.

"Wow, what an impressive story ... ambitious, in fact downright audacious" T.E.D. Klein

"No one can accuse Stuart Young of avoiding the big issues - with insight and verve, he tackles head on the existence of God, the mystery of human consciousness and the transformative effects of psychedelic drugs. Recommended." Mark Chadbourn

"Emotional, brilliant and scary as hell." Brian Keene

"This is horror fiction as it should be: real, confrontational, yet simple, honest and intimate." Gary McMahon

"It's wonderful. A great page-flipper and yet so much more: truly terrifying in its denouement, and that final line is a monster! Like William Hope Hodgson dragged into the latter-day: one of the best I've read in a long while." Gary Fry

"In this brilliant novella Young really cuts loose, positing a series of insights that transcend the questions we as human beings inevitably ask when confronted by the tormenting concepts of infinity and eternity.” Mark Samuels

" ... an engaging and well written story, brimful of believable characters, intriguing concepts and a satisfying ambivalence about matters metaphysical." The Third Alternative

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:38 am 

Congrats - all praise well deserved (though I'm still jealous).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:58 am 

Cheers, Ray. I think everyone gets jealous when they see the quotes that other writers have received. Or is that just me?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:35 pm 

Not just you. I still have 'a writer to watch' stuck over my computer for the ego stroking requirement, though there's not been much for people to watch/read for a while. I can't recommend 'teaching while you write' to anyone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:22 pm 

How about writing while you teach? "Okay, class. Read chapters 8 through 15 in your textbooks and the first person to disturb me while I'm navigating this tricky plot point gets detention."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:43 pm 

Awesome reviews. Everyone needs a little validation in their lives, even writers.

Daverana Enterprises
http://www.daverana.com
Personal website
http://www.janraefrank.com

Paladin of Curmudgeonry and old as dirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:29 pm 

Good idea, Stu. And don't think I haven't been tempted to photocopy my own work to give out anonymously with a 'So, write me a 400 word analysis on this' as part of my redrafting process.

Actually, scrap that. I teach teenagers, they'll tell me there aren't enough vampires in it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:52 am 

I thought it was only teenaged girls who were interested in vampires; the boys are too busy "reading" Nuts and Zoo. Or are there YA books out the where the vampires aren't brooding James Dean types?

Anyway, just 'cos my ego is still in need of reassurance:

"an interesting mix of religion, philosophy, and horror. Young manages to take a number of disparate elements and weave them into a whole that's quite remarkable." Simon Strantzas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:50 am 

*offers Stu's ego a cup of tea and a hug*

Seems that most vampire fiction these days is written by the paranormal romance crowd who has chomped down on the the dark fantasy label like a pit bull on a cow.

Daverana Enterprises
http://www.daverana.com
Personal website
http://www.janraefrank.com

Paladin of Curmudgeonry and old as dirt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:00 pm 

Sorry to say, that is one of the reasons, Cuss, I've stopped reading that genre for now.

I don't mind a bit of romance, but I prefer my dark fantasy to be darker than "Twilight"-type stories (no offence to anyone), and certainly more forebodding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:59 pm 

Also makes it a bugger to sell vampire stories that aren't Twi-lite. I've had two get to second stage considerations only to be dropped before print. I suppose it could be my writing but I'm clinging to market excuses...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:39 pm 

I suspect even those writing "Twi-lite" these days will find it hard to get it published.
From what I can gather, the trend has already moved or is moving from romantic teen vampires and into romantic teen angels--or rather, angel-lite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:18 pm 

This is old news but there's a quick interview with me up on the Thomas Ligotti message boards if you have absolutely nothing better to do.

http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?p=20889#post20889