Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Not my normal territory
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 2:42 pm 

Normally I don't venture here but I thought this might interest some, assuming you were unaware of it.

The BBC World Service Arts show The Strand had an interesting item last week Friday 30 April. You can listen again hereand I'm refering to Eric Whitacre's virtual choir' section not the Iron Man review.

Quote:
American conductor and composer Eric Whitaker is used to performing in the world's leading concert halls but there's nothing like the world wide web for sheer scale. The latest performance of his Virtual Choir has gone viral - nearly 600,000 hits in a month. He tells the story of how something which started out as a bit of fun involving individual singers and their webcams became the world's first mass choir.

It's 19 minutes into the broadcast if you do check it out.
I suppose its the arts equivalent of internet science as per Galaxy Zoo or Seti at Home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:53 am 

There is a podcast now, The Strand May 8th 2010. The virtual choir section is about 42 minutes in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:43 pm 

I doubt this will be podcast for copyright reasons but you can 'listen again' and Episode 2 of The BBC World Service Friday Documentary # The Greatest Hits Of The World is brilliant if you were ever impressed by 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'.

Writers might find this an interesting example. An improvisation by Zulu musician Solomon Linda in a 1938 recording session produced an 11 note 'phrase' went on to make millions (estimated £16 M in 2000) over the next 70+ years but the 'author' got 10 shillings for the recording fee and then maybe $1000 from Pete Seeger in the sixties before dying in poverty in 1962.

One slight annoyance, the episodic nature/repetitive structure of the programme suggests it was designed for insertion of ads if sold beyond the BBC. I'm sure much of this could have been 'edited out' for the BBC broadcast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:25 pm 

I posted this on the TTA FB page but if you missed and Sf music is of interest "the loneliest of creatures" is Jordan Reyne' s 2002science fiction concept album about an extrasolar space probe, on a mission to find intelligent life, signaling Earth as it's power begins to fail and it slowly passes out of communication range.
Jordan expects to be at Eastercon and we may have some of the albums on our stand. Do people sign albums/CDs?