Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:59 am 

Quote:
Andy wrote:-
because a competition accompanied by a bad review can be embarrassing for the PR company concerned

So basically it's Tony's fault for not liking more stuff :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:48 pm 

Andy wrote:
Btw, while the number of entries we receive did go up a lot at one point, they've settled back down again, to what -- to me -- is a very disappointing number. Maybe it's an average percentage for these things, but I suppose I just can't figure out why every Black Static reader doesn't enter. Perhaps Black Static readers just don't feel very lucky!

Does seem a bit mad - it's free to enter! And I've won some things I may not have usually bought or even picked up - Hansel and Gretel DVD, an alien film I can't quite remember the title for though I've watched it a few times and it was great fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:45 pm 

Thanks for clearing that up Andy! I just know the last few comps you've had to chase up some PR companies and then the competitions stopped, so wondered if you'd had enough. Good to know they're not gone for good! I agree about everyone entering - don't know why you wouldn't? I've won some weird and wacky stuff over the years I wouldn't normally buy and it's a great chance to give interesting things a try. Already got A Cold Season though, so didn't enter that one :-) More book comps would be equally welcome :-)
DaN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:49 pm 

Quote:
Andy wrote:-
because a competition accompanied by a bad review can be embarrassing for the PR company concerned

I know that problem too - I used to write reviews for several punk rock fanzines. One issue I wrote a damning review of an album I absolutely hated, only to discover on publication that the ad for that album filled up the whole back page of the 'zine. The label didn't advertise again - oops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:30 pm 

Andy wrote:
whokilledculture wrote:
What happened to the DVD competitions, Andy? Too much hassle chasing up suppliers? I miss them!

Btw, while the number of entries we receive did go up a lot at one point, they've settled back down again, to what -- to me -- is a very disappointing number. Maybe it's an average percentage for these things, but I suppose I just can't figure out why every Black Static reader doesn't enter. Perhaps Black Static readers just don't feel very lucky!

Personally, I only enter the competitions for the DVDs/BluRays/books that I actually want. If it's not something that I'd usually be interested in buying anyway, I tend to think that I'd rather the giveaway went to someone who wants it more than me.
That might sound weird, but if you could see the size of my TBR pile, or browse my shelves filled with cellophone-wrapped DVDs, you'd understand.

And of course, there are the occasions when I've already purchased the product prior to it being up for grabs (like A Cold Season, etc)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:31 am 

This opens up a MASSIVE debate. I am just extrapolating to the national media, the huge spend on advertising in national newspapers - do they in effect "buy" coverage (if not actual "good reviews")? I am sick to death of the amount of space really bad (big) bad (studio) films get even though the reviews are terrible - what about some tiny space for that wonderful, unseen Carpathian masterpiece? Where were the raves about A SEPARATION: the best film of last year? I know it is capitalism but mags like Empire and SFX are THERE to give opinion. A two star fiasco like GREEN HORNET gets two pages while a fantastic small film gets an eightth of a page: there is something badly wrong with the system. And don't get me going on the PR hype of certain actors deigning to do interviews and then pulling future interviews if they get bad reviews. FUCK THEM! I sometimes think all reviewing is pointless, none of it counts but ALL of it counts because it is BUSINESS.... - yet it's essentially in the mainstream it seems as corrupt as a Scotland Yard Commissioner with bulging pockets. Money talks. That is all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:07 pm 

I think you are right Steve but Robert Pattinson, say, brings in the punters so if you put him on the cover you sell more copies and hence you have to give him 2 pages. Peyman Moadi on the cover won't have the same effect - though you could still give him two pages but not in SFX, maybe Empire.

The star system sells seats and magazines that's why they get paid so much. Peyman will have to do a big budget genre movie to get that status but who's to say he wants it.

I still want to see John Carter despite the reviews I've seen so far and then I'll look forward to Nick Lowe's take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:37 pm 

I was told last night A SEPARATION got Best Foreign Film Oscar. So I stand corrected. I don't think it showed in the BAFTAs which is a disgrace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:11 pm 

Andy wrote:
whokilledculture wrote:
What happened to the DVD competitions, Andy? Too much hassle chasing up suppliers? I miss them!

That sometimes is too much hassle for something that should be so simple. Sometimes it's a breeze, as with StudioCanal, sometimes... not. So that is something to bear in mind, but it's probably more to do with release dates and reviews (I'm more careful now than I was in the beginning, because a competition accompanied by a bad review can be embarrassing for the PR company concerned), and stuff like that.

But I haven't abandoned the idea, don't worry. Competitions for DVDs and Blu-rays will still feature, just more so in some issues than others.

This issue does have a book competition though, and obviously if every Black Static reader doesn't want a copy of Ali's A Cold Season we really are wasting our time. I'm sure most readers will already have bought that though!

I will admit to having got the book from the library :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:33 pm 

I went googling for reviews and found this:-

http://twilightridge.net/blog/2012/04/0 ... atic-27-2/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:35 pm 

And then I found this:-

http://sfrevu.com/php/Review-id.php?id=13354

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:44 am 

You mean there's someone out there who doesn't agree with everything I say? I'm shocked! :)

Post subject: Re: BLACK STATIC 27
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:30 pm 

Black Static #27 uploaded to Fictionwise, processing day is 15 May and 'it's alive date' could be then or 22 May. Onwards to Smashwords.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:29 pm 

Black Static #27 now live on Smashwords with stories from 2012 BFS award nominee Simon Bestwick, Gord Sellar, Jacob Ruby, Stephen Bacon and V.H. Leslie plus Peter Tennant's interview with Alison Littlewood and plenty of book and DVD reviews.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:46 pm 

Black Static #27 now live on Amazon Kindle. Prices vary according to local taxes like VAT. You can't 'look inside' the Black Static. I've no idea why but if anyone can tell me I'll make the necessary adjustments.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next