Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Afterlife
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:05 pm 

Afterlife Series 2 has just picked up 3 nominations for the Monte Carlo TV Festival 2007 in June. Lesley Sharp, Andrew Lincoln and Murray Furguson (best producer). There is no award for writer or series. We're all delighted and this year I'll be attending. Can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:59 am 

8) Sounds like a good jolly hope you guys have a great time, of course this sounds trite and obsessional.....but...genuinely working in Bristol last week. Had a wander down the centre, Glassboat restaurant in dry dock so went to Toto opposite for a beer. Having picked up the free metro newspaper, read tv review of Sea of Souls.....in short reviewer stated "this subject in SOS was covered a great deal more sympathetically by the much underrated Afterlife"

Spooky and regards

DJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:25 pm 

On the other hand, on the SFX magazine website:

Sea of Souls managed its welding of the paranormal and the everyday much more successfully than its ITV rival Afterlife...
...The final moments leave you with just the right amount of shock and chills and prove that, with Afterlife seemingly seen off, Sea of Souls deserves something more than the occasional two-hour treat.
Steve O’Brien

You can't win 'em all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:31 pm 

Fair point, perhaps an unbiased viewpoint is required (cough not mine), although I lost 'Sea of Souls' when it changed direction in the 1st series. Still at least the genre is being kept alive, it seems the BBC is fairly positive on this, what with Dr Who, Life on Mars and its new follow up. Is clerkenwell batting for the wrong side or is it ever so slightly dependent on ITV commissioning? Note I presume nothing.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:45 pm 

I will just say I think a two hour two-parter is insane for a supernatural story, in my humble opinion. You never know why something is chosen or not: Afterlife was turned down by BBC, then they did Sea of Souls. Nobody can be unbiased, it is all subjective.

The Life on Mars follow up is straight 80s cop show as far as I can see, so the BBC default setting is still as it ever was - unadventurous, if at all possible.

As an independent company Clerkenwell bats for any side that says "yes." ITV is traditionally more conservative in commissioning, but BBC drama has its huge prejudices, for instance I believe they see supernatural fiction as low brow and working class.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:58 am 

Take your point as I'm sure you have more dealings with BBC commissioning executives than I ever will.
Watched Life-line last night, interesting concept, although already forgotten when the final part is being shown, believed to be Thursday
Perhaps this scatter-gun approach to scheduling could be part of the problem or maybe its a conspiracy....a defective gene in the BBC along the lines of Blade Runner. Self-destruction part of a bigger plan...
Then some exec will produce audience figures and the whole genre will be downsized.
Here's hoping I'm deluded again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:47 am 

Stephen,

Maybe the setting of Bristol was wrong for the Beeb? If you'd set it in Edinburgh or Cardiff, it might have been accepted... :)

Colin

Novels:
Winter Song -- US launch May 2010
Damage Time -- UK launch May 2010
-- US launch June 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:51 am 

:oops:

Just realized that that last post might have been construed as anti-Welsh or Scottish.

It was aimed more at the BBC, who seem to think in boxes. If you'd pitched 'Afterlife' as a natural history programme, then Bristol would have been fine.

I'll go now, before I dig myself in any deeper... :roll:

Novels:
Winter Song -- US launch May 2010
Damage Time -- UK launch May 2010
-- US launch June 2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:12 am 

Well, curiously, Afterlife WAS set in Cardiff at the time of presenting to BBC Head of Drama (the series was developed at BBC Wales with Foz Allan, who went on to produce Robin Hood). Before that, the first episode was set in London when I first wrote it.

When the series was picked up by Clerkenwell Films we changed the setting back to London. (I even wrote a version set in Boston, USA!) When it was finally given the green light by ITV, the producer Murray Ferguson was keen for logistical (and creative) reasons that we shoot outside London. Basically, London is a hassle, and it was actually more interesting to us to set it elsewhere. Murray looked into it and suggested Bristol as a production base, and asked what inthought. I said that was perfect for me, as I knew the city and had been to university there. Bristol turned out to be quite integral to the feel of the series, I felt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:40 am 

Agree entirely, some of the episodes clearly showed Bristol landmarks and road routes, taxi in ep6 1st series, the bridge etc etc. Plus all those Welsh signs...no offence and maybe a complete change of cast, sure would have added complications. :lol: Blodwyn of Alison perhaps???

regards

DJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:35 pm 

I remember writing scenes in Cardiff Bay, Llandaff Cathedral, etc. All TORCHWOOD fodder now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:50 pm 

The trouble I had with Sea of Souls, like many modern drama, is a rather heavy-handed approach taken by director and composer; every point of suspense was sign-posted with a crescendo of noise, and today's style seems to be based on MTV with jump-cuts, et al.

Life-Line was a step in the right direction, with an almost restrained score and direction, which what made the second series of Afterlife better than the first.

As Steve rightfully says, two-parts is just plain wrong for supernatural drama - the stories just don't justify the length.

I'd hate to imagine what a modern version of "Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You" would be like? A total monstrous mess, compared to Jonathan Miller's superb adaptation.

Post subject: afterlife
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:28 am 

Still think Bristol was the better choice, though as noted I,m biased. You mentioned that you had some new projects in the pipe-line any news.

regards

DJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:49 pm 

Delighted to report that Andrew Lincoln won Outstanding actor of the Year in a TV Series for "Afterlife" at the international 2007 Monte Carlo TV Awards yesterday.

Lesley Sharp won Outstanding Actress last year, and Murray Ferguson, European Producer of the Year.

Damn them, there is no award for series writer!

Post subject: Awards
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:43 am 

Oops if this is repeated

Hi

Very much deserved, read a review of Debbie Horsfield's latest offering which included a mention of Afterlife as comparable. Any connection and any news on your latest endeavours.

regards

DJ