Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:06 pm 

des2 wrote:
Just had a short holiday with my wife. We have not been to the cinema for years and I don't watch films on TV. Films are too fabricated for me when compared to fiction or music.
des

Is that just Hollywood major-releases, Des, or all films? There's plenty of cinema from other countries and times that would more likely be up your street. Otherwise, by comparing films to fiction or music, you're not comparing like to like. Fiction and music go all the way from schlock to high art with everything in between, and so do films.

And how are fiction and music not "fabricated"?

That's not to say all Hollywood is bad. One of the best films I've seen this year is Zodiac (see separate thread).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:16 pm 

Hey, Gary, I could have seen 'Zodiac' in that 9 screen cinema instead of Spiderman 3! Looks as if we made the wrong choice. I'd never heard of Zodiac and there was no info outside the cinema. We asked inside and a young man said it was about a serial killer and he hadn't seen it but he had heard it was too long. My wife doesn't like films about serial killers. She doesn't like Classic Comic Heroes either, now!

On your serious point, I know there are films potentially more suitable for my taste than Spiderman 3! However, I have found, gradually, over the years, that I cannot rid myself of the knowledge that there are cameras and actors involved, even in the most arthouse of productions. With music (classical in particular) and good unillustrated fiction, one has more of an ability to withdraw disbelief and become entrammelled by numinous strands of feeling that add a tractable provenance to the plotting and characterisation (or music flow) that would otherwise be fabricated or seen-to-be-part-of-how-the-thing's-clockwork-works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:08 pm 

Back to my original post and I see that Interzone's exteemed film critic confirms my analysis.

Somewhat smug of me I agree but there you go.