Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:00 pm 

For some reason I'd completely forgotten about Eternal Sunshine, Pitch Black and A Scanner Darkly whilst writing my list - though at least my disclaimer covers my ass. :)

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:49 am 

Mike A wrote:
I'd probably put 'Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind' in my SF top 10.

Dunno why this film gets so highly rated on SF lists...
:?
Perhaps its fans might say that I just need to see it again, but I wasn't very impressed with it on 1st DVD viewing. Admittedly, I've read a lot of PKD, and collected all the film adaptations, so ESOTSM didn't seem original to me, just another recycling of familiar phildickian themes. What's all the fuss about?
:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:08 am 

After much interjecting and opinionating on other's opinions, here's my personal list (in no particular order, as always):

Grand Tour: Disaster in Time
May not be as good as I remember it being after stumbling into it late one night, but the ending really stuck with me: 'maybe we made your future a little less perfect'. An enjoyable sci-fi mystery.
Videodrome
Questioning reality and perception long before The Matrix. And with more thinking.
Mad Max 2
Post-apoc was never so brutal, barren and believable.
Alien
Read Alan Dean Foster's novelization before seeing the film, which probably influenced my watching. But it's space travel as it should be: a long, slow arduous slog through space for profits the crew'll never see. And then humanity is out of it's depth, suddenly a small fish in a very big pond.
Blade Runner (Director's Cut)
I wish I'd made this film. Can't think of a bad thing about it.
Star Wars: A New Hope
Argue all you like, but it's still the pinnacle of sci-fi as entertainment. Oh, and the Used Future.
Robocop
Caustic social satire, human soul in the machine, identity and duty, techno-fear, and a bloodbath!
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Engaging and magical. Childhood's dream.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Humanity on trial, in all our stupid, political, near-sighted brutality.
Brazil
Another film I wandered into late one night. Anti-totalitarian-pro-imagination-sci-fi-head-fu*k. Wonderful.

Honourable mentions have to go to: Back to the Future; Dark City; Doctor Strangelove (if enough of us say it's sci-fi, then it will be!); The Matrix; Tron; Ghost in the Shell; Star Trek 2; Star Trek: Nemesis; and Seconds. And I wish I could mention Star Trek: TNG, Quantum Leap, Doctor Who, Wild Palms and the novel of Hitch Hicker's Guide, because without them I'd have never discovered the joys of sci-fi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:00 am 

My list, in no particular order...

Dune, dir. David Lynch
It made a bit of a mess of the book, but the production design still definitively evokes the Duniverse for me. Tthe various versions knocking about give pointers to what Lynch was trying to achieve, and how good it could have been. Mind you, I still think it's a crying shame Jodorowsky never got to make his version...

Brazil, dir. Terry Gilliam
Orwell's 1984 might have been written as a cautionary tale, but it should have been a black comedy. But never mind, Gilliam did it for us anyway.

Until the End of the World, dir. Wim wenders
Probably the best presentation of a near-future world ever committed to celluloid - even if the film does feel a little like two stories badly welded together.

Alien, dir. Ridley Scott
The first and best of the franchise. It still gives me a fright when the alien attacks Dallas in the air-duct. Not to mention the time my cat, on my lap at the time, decided to cough up a furball at the exact moment the chestburster starts eating its way out of John Hurt...

Delicatessen, dir. Jeunet & Caro
Yet more proof that dystopias should be black comedies. It's the only way to make them both palatable and entertaining.

Solaris, dir. Andrei Tarkovsky
The fact that I will happily rewatch a 3-hour Russian-language film says just about all that needs to be said of this film.

Star Trek: the Motion Picture, dir. Robert wise
The most outright science-fictional films of the franchise (possibly because a sf author, Alan Dean Foster, provided the plot), and not an extended television episode as almost all the others seem to be.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow, dir. Kerry Conran
Not only did the Conrans superbly evoke the look of pulp sf in their production design, but they even faithfully paid homage to the story-telling techniques of that period. Which is probably why it bombed at the box-office.

The Thing, dir. John Carpenter
It's gruesome and gory, and it's the best thing Carpenter has ever done.

Starship Troopers, dir. Paul Verhoeven
Doogie Howser in a Gestapo greatcoat! What more do you need to know? And the film continues to entertain me - when I see the reactions to it of frothing-at-the-mouth Heinlein fans...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:47 pm 

Foxie wrote:
Grand Tour: Disaster in Time
May not be as good as I remember it...

Released on video in UK as Timescape, but it has nothing to do with Benford's novel, as it's adapted by genre fave David Twohy from a Kuttner & Moore story!

Not a great film, IMHO, but certainly under-rated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:11 pm 

Tony wrote:
Released on video in UK as Timescape, but it has nothing to do with Benford's novel, as it's adapted by genre fave David Twohy from a Kuttner & Moore story!

Not a great film, IMHO, but certainly under-rated.

How do you know these things?! More over, how can you remember seeing it and what you thought of it, along with all the other movies?

You're probably right about it not being great (by which I mean if I saw it again I'd probably agree), but I remember it fondly, and it only just won over Timebounce in my elections.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:13 pm 

Foxie wrote:
How do you know these things?! More over, how can you remember seeing it and what you thought of it, along with all the other movies?

Film geek.
:oops:

Post subject: Best SF films
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:50 pm 

Not sure what Lynch's DUNE is doing in any of these lists. It was terrible. Far better was the TV series which I have on DVD and which was originally on the SCIFI channel, I believe.

Agree with 2001 and Blade Runner. Terminator 2, yes. And The Empire Strikes Back (the second, and still the best, Star Wars film).

I rate Minority Report highly, and Close Encounters, too. But the Tarkovsky Solaris and his later one, Stalker, are highest on my list because they expand the boundaries of the general run of science fiction films, touching on spirituality, politics, and much more.

I can't honestly think of my top 10 at the moment, but these are my starter for 10 (15, actually), in no particular order:

SOLARIS (Tarkovsky)
STALKER (Tarkovsky)
BLADE RUNNER
2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY
CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND
STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
TERMINATOR 2
MAD MAX 2
MINORITY REPORT
ALIENS
DARK STAR
AKIRA