Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: HP & Order of Phoenix
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:27 pm 

I haven't read the books past no 2 but I have seen the films and today I saw the latest in IMAX 3D. (well the last 20 minutes was 3D) No need to read the books because the films have to follow them closely to make sure they can keep up with whatever JKR puts into books still to be written. That won't be a constraint soon.

I was entertained and a school party of teenagers packed cinema was very quiet throughout - though the teens were worryingly rowdy; show-off belching, goody bag rustling, sweet throwing, shouting etc., before the lights went down - and seemed to be happy with the film.

The problem for me is earlier episodes included stuff like invisibility cloaks and time travel yet these more than useful devices don't seem to reappear when they could, if not solve a problem, at least be discussed as a potential solution.

Maybe in the last book due out this week we'll see them used again so a major character can die only to be rescued after the last minute, as you might say. I haven't read Dave Langford's book but I know he speculated about endings, was that one of his possibilities?

Incidentally why was Hermione living with the Weasley's? She and Ron didn't appear to be an item Had I missed something?

As we left the IMAX auditorium, and it is huge, I was amused by the vast quantity of left over sweet, popcorn and drinks packaging litter the aisles and seats.. I bet the cleaners could have done with a bit of Harry Potter magic then. Alas it wasn't to be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:11 pm 

I enjoyed the film as a film, although the differences from the book are clear and understandable. There were a couple of scenes from the book that I felt could have been better represented in the film, one of these being Dumbledore's exit from Hogwarts. The film shows him vanishing from his office by holding onto his Phoenix's tail after being confronted by the minister and others, although the book describes the scene as Dumbledore expertly dealing with his confronters before vanishing.

I felt the film was as good as it was going to be when the book is, in my opnion, the worst so far. As a fan of the series and I've read all books at least a couple of times I can understand why things mentioned in previous installments weren't used in this one, but it's information you get from reading the books.

All I can say is roll on Deathly Hallows - I'll be at my local 24hour Tesco at midnight tomorrow to pick it up and enjoy the grand finale. I can only hope that in the meantime I can avoid the spoilers that are appearing all over the net....

The Unisphere | A Peter F Hamilton Fan Site

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:02 pm 

My kids saw it today and gave it thumbs up.

Here are the best bits - according to CAP:

Wanton Violence/Crime (W)

bully tormenting, repeatedly
images of evil/terror
conspiring to overthrow
intense talk of killing
attack/assault by evil, repeatedly
brutality
physical assault by teacher
willingness to harm student because of hunger for power
attempted murder, repeatedly
abduction

Impudence/Hate (I)

teen tantrum
a single use of the three/four letter word vocabulary
classroom disrespect
advising to cheat/deceive
"Sort of exciting, isn't it ... breaking the rules"
lie
joy in oppressive control

Sexual Immorality (S)

homosexual insult
open-mouth kissing - teen
excessive cleavage

Drugs/Alcohol (D)

ale/beer and only once

Offense to God (O)

use of unholy magic to do good, frequent
talking letter
moving photographs/paintings, repeatedly
broom riding
unholy magic to control, do harm/kill, mesmerize, distort, move objects, transform, etc., throughout
presentation of numerous unholy creatures
magical appearance/disappearance
transformation, shape-shifting, repeatedly
tattoos and other images of evil such as the Satanic cross (mockeries of the holy Cross, see Back to School Special <http://www.capalert.com/backtoschool/backtoschool.htm>), repeatedly
horse-drawn cart moving with no visible horse
floating candles
unholy creature visible only to those who have seen death
prophesying
human face talking in flames
unholy events
dreamstate terror, repeatedly
premonitions of evil
seeking revenge
long sequence of witchcraft/wizardry warfare
evil spirit possession
teaching witchcraft/wizardry to children, throughout
wizard speaking of "dark powers" as if the use of witchcraft/wizardry is not dark
portraying a noble image of the practice of witchcraft/wizardry, throughout

Murder/Suicide (M)

one murder by unholy forces

he adds 'Potter films may be the extra push that forces the inquisitive to cross the threshold.

And I'll not try to explain the subliminal liberal versus conservative warfare in this film and all other Potter films: the animosity the liberals (witches and wizards) hold against the conservatives (Christians); the attitude of look-down-the-nose at the one-dimensional tunnel-visioned bigoted ignorant repressive bumpkin non-magic "bad guy" Muggles (Christians) who don't approve of imagination by the progressive, enlightened and politically correct "good guy" witches and wizards. Nor will I try to explain the teen against authority theme throughout the film: the portrayal of adults as power mad bullies and teens as victims. What is wrong with this picture? (No, it isn't me.) This and all Potter films are dots in the connect-the-dots anti-Christian picture, holding hands with the mainstream media's demonization of the Christian faith...'

Yeah, right, whateva..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:20 am 

Yeah, but you've got to laugh. The punchline is that these people seriously believe what they're saying!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:49 am 

So... 'Harry made me do it.'
:?: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:36 pm 

I heard they were going to remake The Exorcist, but instead of 'Captain Howdy' and a Ouija board, they're going to have Dumbledore and the HP7 book. Mel Gibson is going to play the elder priest, and Leonardo DiCapro the younger.

It's based on a true story, you know. The 9/11 bombers? Copies of Philospher's Stone were found in their luggage. Wal-Mart showed their support by pulling all copies from their shelves and stocking automatic pistols there instead. People have a right to defend themselves, after all. You can't let your opinion be swayed by a few irresponsible individuals who abuse the right to bare arms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:41 pm 

Foxie wrote:
The 9/11 bombers? Copies of Philospher's Stone were found in their luggage.

Was that book ever retitled (Sorcerer's Stone), in US, like the film?
Just wondering... it's a lazy, slow Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:28 pm 

Yeah, yeah it was. The publishers - and JKR herself - felt that the phrase 'Philosopher's Stone' wouldn't mean much to an American audience, and the phrase 'Sorcerer's Stone' would more accurately convey the same idea. And we've never heard the end of it.

Not only was it retitled, but all the spellings were changed to American English (as MS Word likes to call it). A little bit irritating, given that American novels don't bother to change their words to, erm . . . English English. More than a little patronising to the American readers, too.

It wouldn't be so much of a problem if JKR didn't bang on in interviews about the 'Britishness' of the series. And now they're going to build 'Wizard World' in the States the whole thing has kicked off again in spades. 'But Harry Potter is British! Why can't we have your cheap, tacky, exploitative amusement park that is going to ruin the childhood memories of a generation by turning them into sub-standard rides, over-priced merchandising and extra-ordinarily long queues? We deserve it by being born in the same country as the author!'
Far as I'm concerned, Time Warner are paying for the damned thing so they can put it where ever they like.

Like you say, slow Friday . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:54 pm 

I hate the Americanising of spelling (and it's a bit patronising to assume Americans aren't going to know what the philosopher's stone is, too...). I don't think Harry Potter is the only book they did that to, though. I seem to remember a Terry Pratchett that had had the same treatment--very weird when you're used to British spelling.

Then again, I'm curious as to how American English looks to a native British speaker, and vice versa. French doesn't really have dialects anymore, so I imagine it's akin to French vs Quebecois--in a sort of more disturbing way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:49 pm 

Possibly something to do with having studied computer science and therefore having been bombarded with American spellings that little bit more, but the only thing that I find disturbing about "US English" as oppose to "UK English" (yay Microsoft, etc) is that I find myself using it more than I should. Well, that and I can't seem to persuade OpenOffice that I am actually in England. My mum would not have been impressed, having been an English teacher.

Seriously, though, we have so much that is originally American over here in the media now (tv programmes, books, comics, etc) that most people seem to switch between the two without even noticing. The main thing that my various (county council) employers have stressed is being consistent. So if you're going to use "-ize", don't change half way though to "-ise". Oh, and the international spellings for chemicals have now all been switched to the American versions, so I've recently had to hunt out all the British English names, like Sulphur. The fun of working as admin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:35 pm 

I run my spell-checker to be consistent...(only way I've found to go about it systematically).

Quote:
Oh, and the international spellings for chemicals have now all been switched to the American versions, so I've recently had to hunt out all the British English names, like Sulphur

That does sound like a pain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:40 pm 

I've gone through my stage of hating American spelling with a passion. Don't get me wrong, I still hate it. But one day I realised that it wasn't going to go away and that it was, in fact, only going to get worse and worse. That day I resigned myself. Ever since then, my rationalisation mechanisms having been working hard. I just keep reminding myself that language isn't a fixed, static, standardised thing. It's an organic entity that grows as people change and need to understand ideas, thoughts and feelings within the context of the society they're living in. As American culture dominates, their creative output increasingly defines the way people see the world and understand the world, so it's only natural that our language changes to harmonise more with theirs. We had our time in the sun back when we were lording it over half the globe and painting maps pink, and there's whole African countries still under the cultural and spiritual yoke of Queen Victoria in the way they talk and dream and worship. In a few years, no doubt, the Indians will start changing the way we spell things and the way we say things, and then it'll be the Chinese's turn, then the Africans will finally get a go . . . Russia may even get a look in. Just the way the wheel turns.

I've almost got myself convinced, too. Being a grown up (learning to live with the world we've got) is hard work. Takes a lot of effort. Why don't people ever tell you this when you're kids and they're yelling at you to grow up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:43 pm 

Journeymouse wrote:
Oh, and the international spellings for chemicals have now all been switched to the American versions, so I've recently had to hunt out all the British English names, like Sulphur. The fun of working as admin...

I have to wonder, dude, just who you're doing admin for. Do you have to do spreadsheets tracking Brimstone costings, photocopy contracts for signing in blood (and triplicate) and chase up orders of pitchfolks that still haven't been delivered?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:26 pm 

Dude? You mean I had a sex change while I wasn't looking? Eep! :wink:

Nah, I currently work in the Science Department of a school. Surprisingly lax about "zed"s and such, but we had to make sure the little darlings can be understood in any laboratory in the world. And put aside the obvious jokes about test subjects - Cumbria isn't that bad... Honest

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:33 pm 

Journeymouse wrote:
Dude? You mean I had a sex change while I wasn't looking? Eep! :wink:

Sorry . . . I have this habit of calling everyone and anyone 'dude'. Up to and including my regional manager. 'Dude' for me is just a convenient shorthand for, 'person who isn't me'. I haven't called my girlfriend by her name is . . . over a year now, I think (actually, that's a bit of hyperbole - I used it a couple of weeks ago, but that was the first time in almost a year).

Journeymouse wrote:
Nah, I currently work in the Science Department of a school. Surprisingly lax about "zed"s and such, but we had to make sure the little darlings can be understood in any laboratory in the world. And put aside the obvious jokes about test subjects - Cumbria isn't that bad... Honest

So our future is in your hands, huh? Scary stuff. I guess what with communication being the whole point of language, makes sense to try and get everyone on the same page, so to speak.

Anyway, back to Harry Potter. I lost interest half way through the forth book, and stopped reading after the fifth. It's weird - I'm genuinely not that bothered about who lives, who dies and who gives birth to Harry's baby. But anything that gets people of any age reading and imagining can't be a bad thing. When I was that age, if I found a film I loved, I'd go out and find the book and read that. I can't believe I'm the only one out there like that.