Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: Film 2007
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:20 am 

What films (cinema or DVD) are you looking forward to seeing this year?
Summer blockbusters?
Foreign art-house, perhaps..?
Something rare/ obscure that's finally available on disc?

War movie 9th Company is on my must-see list, if only because it features Russian helicopters.

Post subject: Re: Film 2007
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:08 pm 

Tony wrote:
War movie 9th Company is on my must-see list, if only because it features Russian helicopters.

Helicopters? Might've guessed. :roll: :wink:

Post subject: Re: Film 2007
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:41 am 

pendragon wrote:
Helicopters? Might've guessed.

Yes, for my sins, I'll also have to sit through DEJA VU and that GUARDIAN thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:42 pm 

I actually answered this question yesterday, only on the wrong thread (when I say I've got a poor sense of direction, I really mean it), so allow me to quote myself:

Just ordered The Host on DVD, which should be fun. As for the big screen - Inland Empire aside - I still haven't decided whether 300 will be worth dipping into my wallet for. The clips and trailers I've seen look fantastic, but then again they're supposed to, aren't they? As good as it looks somehow I can't shake the feeling that I'll end up walking out of the cinema asking myself, 'why did I bother?'

Post subject: I Am Legend
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:13 pm 

I can't wait to be disapponted by Will Smith in I AM LEGEND. Apologies for my pesimism.

Post subject: Re: I Am Legend
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:02 am 

Stephen Bacon wrote:
I can't wait to be disapponted by Will Smith in I AM LEGEND. Apologies for my pesimism.

Well, the director's CONSTANTINE was a good effort but, as IAL is only Francis Lawrence's 2nd feature film, I doubt he can overcome the Smithy curse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:58 pm 

I remember talking to producer David Hayman (Harry Potter) several years ago: he was about to make Matheson's I AM LEGEND starring. wait for it, Arnold Schwarzenegger!! So, don't complain too loudly, guys, about Will Smith!! I just hope they use the "V-word" this time, and don't fudge it like the Heston version, THE OMEGA MAN. LEGEND is one of my favourite novels so I pray they don't mess it up this time!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:15 am 

I read about the Arnie link with IaL awhile back... and shuddered for a long-time. :shock:

Watched The Messengers last night: plot-holes the size of trucks, but a not bad Hollywood debut for the Pang Brothers.

Saw Miami Vice on dvd, which was a tad on the "meh" side (I seem to recall the TV series being about a partnership - there was about as much charisma between Farrell and Foxx as a bowl of chilled celery).

Since B*ockbusters had a 2-for-1 dvd offer, also re-watched Hard Candy: as in genre writing, if you want to get the best then you look away from the mainstream and veer towards the indies. One of the best pieces of suspense cinema in a long-time - a taut, well-written script, with stunning performances frm Ellen Page and Patrick Wilson, though I'm not surprised the director (David Slade) is a graduate from the Ridley/Tony Scott school of direction.

I shall be looking forward to his next film - 30 Days of Night, a vampire-tale set in Alaska. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:12 pm 

Yes [i]30 Days.. [/i]per the graphic novel. Sounds lip-smackingly good.

Post subject: Shutter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:55 pm 

Some of us have already seen it on DVD import, but impressive and very spooky ghost story SHUTTER is getting a UK cinema run, from 29 June.

Quote:
Fright lovers who thought Asian horror movies were becoming somewhat stale and repetitive in recent years will find great delight in the creepy Thai shocker SHUTTER, which, while starting off on what seems like overly-familiar ground, manages to turn the genre on its head with a truly unexpected plot development, a cracking final reel and a terrifying closing image that will haunt viewers long after the credits have rolled.
Driving home from a drinking party, photographer Tun and his girlfriend Jane accidentally knock down a teenage girl. But rather than going to the victim's aid, Tun convinces Jane to leave the scene of the accident. In the days following the incident, bizarre ghostly images begin to appear on photographs taken by Tun. Investigations into the cause of this mysterious phenomenon lead Tun and Jane to a girl from Tun's past and a very dark and deeply disturbing secret.

An effective ghost story that combines atmospheric chills with plenty of shock moments, SHUTTER has already inspired an American remake, currently in production for release in 2008 and set to star Joshua Jackson (Cursed; Dawson's Creek) and Rachael Taylor (Transformers; See No Evil).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:41 pm 

Shutter is the scariest film I've ever seen and it haunts me still. I implore (again!) everyone to see it. If you miss it at the cinema, last time I was www.dddhouse.com I noticed it was back in stock, and very cheap. (This is where I got my copy from -- superb transfer and sound as I recall.)

PS: check out me avatar!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:44 pm 

£4.17 in fact.

http://dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=4345

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:27 am 

Anyone seen those laughable "ultimate summer of cinema" ads?
Nearly everything they plug is a sequel!
:roll: