Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:57 pm 

Machinima is a relatively new genre of animation where, as defined by Wikipedia, "computer-generated imagery (CGI) is rendered using real-time, interactive 3-D engines, [such as those from first-person shooter and role-playing simulation video games], instead of professional 3D animation software. " In other words, the animator 'piggybacks' on modified, pre-existing games software, to create a new story and characters.

The results are unique, being 'cruder', but quicker to make. Machinima is of great appeal to those with smaller resources, and results in much more personal, and quirkier, work than that made through studio keyframed CGI. The tension between the regimentation of the 'found' environment and the frequent sophistication of the storyline(s) imposed upon can be very interesting, and has a unique feel.

Archive.org, a free to download site, has hundreds of examples of the art, including the full length machinima feature Bloodspell - a 'director's cut', evidently a recutting of what was previously a long series. I enjoyed it.

Archive's blurb says "BloodSpell is the unique animated "punk fantasy" feature film by Machinima pioneers Strange Company. In the world of BloodSpell, some people are infected with magic in their blood. When that blood is spilled, the magic is released, to harm or heal. When Jered, a young monk trained to hunt the Blooded, realises he has magic in his own blood, he must flee into the slums and magical hideouts of the Blooded, pursued by the Church of the Angels who trained him." It utilises British voice talent.

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has seen this, or has any other suggestions of recommendable Machinima titles. I'd love to see someone use the PS3 3-D engine, for instance, to create fresh fictional worlds - which no doubt will happen eventually although I'm not sure of the copyright implications..

Incidentally IMDb don't seem to have this on their database.

http://www.archive.org/details/BloodSpell_Feature_Film