Small text iconNormal text iconLarge text icon

INTERACTION

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MembersMembers   GroupsGroups   RegisterRegister 
 User Control PanelUser Control Panel      LoginLogin 

All times are UTC

Post subject: HEROES
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:58 pm 

Has anyone been following HEROES? It is apparently Steven Spielberg’s favourite TV show and has been said to be the new LOST.

What do you guys think?

http://www.nbc.com/Heroes/

Post subject: Re: HEROES
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:57 pm 

Ian R. Faulkner wrote:
What do you guys think?
Hugely enjoyable nonsense. I'm not normally a superhero fan, but I find the writing and production very satisfying. Some of the revealed surprises seem to be deliberate non sequiturs just for the sake of preventing viewers second-guessing the plot, but nonetheless I'm enjoying it immensely.

(I'm up to about episode 13 -- despite being in the UK I have a bit of access to the US broadcasts :wink: )

...or via iTunes (v4.9 or later)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:00 pm 

It's due on BBC2 later this year... looking forward to it. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:23 am 

I'm really enjoying this show - it's a terrific idea wonderfully executed. And there's a massive amount of violence and bloodshed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:43 pm 

Gary Mc wrote:
I'm really enjoying this show - it's a terrific idea wonderfully executed. And there's a massive amount of violence and bloodshed.

Cool. :D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:05 pm 

I caught the first two episodes on BBC 2 last night. I thought there were too many faces, not enough characters, not enough plot and a rationale culled directly from X-Men (although it was nice to see that acknowledged). Without giving anything away, does it get better, or is it just more visually engaging crap for PS2-sated American teenager?

(Harsh, possibly, but I'm really not a huge 'Lost' fan and sometimes struggle to see the attraction at all. Lots of people like it, though, so you know. Different strokes for different horses.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:47 pm 

Heroes starts pretty slow, but it'll hook you in. I started reluctantly and finished the first series desperate for more. And I'm no fan of Lost, either, tedious obfuscatory flashback-saturated arse that it is.

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:58 pm 

Your articulate deification on Lost has convinced me to trust everything else you have to say. In that post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:52 am 

I saw the first episode the other night - certainly promising. (I'm NOT generally a fan of glossy American genre series - I lasted about an hour of Lost.)

Slow-moving? What's happened to people's attention spans? If you think that's slow-moving, God help you if you watch an Andrei Tarkovsky film. (Spoken as someone who usually likes Tarkovsky films). What I saw was an opening episode establishing about half a dozen characters, getting their plots started with hints of future developments - all in just over forty minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:17 am 

GaryC wrote:
What I saw was an opening episode establishing about half a dozen characters, getting their plots started with hints of future developments - all in just over forty minutes.

Not seen it yet, so just thinking...
OK, characters + plot + pace, check.
Does it have any new ideas/ originality, though?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:53 pm 

I never really got the impression of it being slow-moving, rather that it was unfocused. When I start watching a show, I want to know what kind of story it's telling and why I care about it. An hour and a half into Heroes, and all I know is a bunch of stereotypes each have a random super power and have to save a city I don't particularly care about (I've seen New York destroyed more times than I've seen it all in one piece, and had no emotional connection to the place to begin with).

I mean, there's nothing wrong with having a broad range of characters in a show, but I like them to be introduced slowly. I like to get to know a few - two or three, maybe - interesting characters in the first couple of hours rather than having a dozen characters thrown at me who, because of limitations on screen time, have to appear two-dimensional, unmotivated and stereotypical. I don't want to have to wait six episodes before I start caring about a main character.

Maybe tastes have moved on and I haven't. I'll watch next-week, of course, and happily admit I've started loving the show if I do. Stranger things have happened - I became a huge Buffy fan when I wasn't looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:47 pm 

Gary: Tarkovsky's great, but a Tarkovsky film isn't a major US network-produced big budget TV show built around episodic delivery that needs to hook viewers in in the first episode or two lest they change channel. ;)

As you say, in Heroes they introduced a significant number of major characters and started the ball rolling on their respective subplots. I think the "slow-starting" remarks often levelled at Heroes actually refer to how it takes a little while for the larger narrative to emerge. Additionally, beginning a new series you're going to have limited empathy for the show's characters as you don't "know them" yet, so you're not guaranteed to keep watching to find out "what happens to them". The point is that you have to allow time for the main plot threads to emerge and to get to grips with the characters - hence, slow-starting. You're not thrown straight into the action as in, say, the first episode of Farscape or Lost.

Tony: New ideas/originality... I'm not any sort of expert on the superhero genre but, whilst I imagine this was done 20 years ago in comics, it's moderately original for a US TV show to take the superpower concept and integrate it with everyday life (okay, "TV everyday life"). Half of the fun of Heroes is watching relatively normal people come to terms with what's happening to them and what they can't help but become involved with. It's personal drama more than it is fighting crime. Some of these themes have been developed by more recent superhero films but they all approached the issues from a traditional costumed vigilante versus supervillains perspective.

Foxie: If you're prepared to trust me, you might like this snake oil I have for sale at a very reasonable price... ;)

No one in particular: Heroes is not exceptional TV. It is merely very good. Pedantic hole-pickers, i.e. pretty much everyone interested in SF, will find logical flaws and inconsistencies in abandon throughout the first series ("if he can do that, why doesn't he..." etc.). But in my experience the show is good enough, the characters interesting enough, the plots intriguing enough, that you'll not be picking these holes whilst watching it. You have to do it on your own time.

Nostalgia For Infinity
Literature, gaming, punk rock... and all that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:55 pm 

I'm enjoying it so far.
It is both mindless (contrived, populist) and mindful (original, provoking). A hard mix to accomplish. des

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:38 pm 

I have been watching this though I missed the, probably vital, pre credit sequence for the first episode. I can see its attraction, especially for a young audience, and can't help feeling that this sort of TV is what IZ competes with for the spare time of potential readers. Parts of it are very good and most of it seemed to 'make sense' at first.

However they do seem to keep introducing too many new characters with/and new powers now and, to some extent, spinning it out so it seems to be going nowhere. Maybe they need these episodes to get their full complement to fill out 6 months. At present it feels like the middle section of an interminable trilogy.

Maybe a few 'psi' stories in IZ would be a good move. I'm thinking about one even now, though it will take me so long that the fashion will have passed before I finish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:11 am 

I've been giving this series the space I'm told it needs (friendlygun - that snake oil is doing wonders :) ), and it's been a bit of fun, but it's beginning to grate a little now. Isaac and Hiro are the only characters I have any interest in at all, Peter has the only superpower that's interesting or new, and the other characters still seem like lazy stereotypes . . . (And is it just me, or does Nikki have the worst power ever? Last time I knew, MPD was a personality disorder rather than a superpower. I mean, are we going to have Manic Depression Boy next week?)

The thing that's grating is not only the desperate amount of characters and their random powers, but the fact that almost every single character mentioned or given screen time seems to have a super power. It's devaluing the characters already introduced. Suddenly, the powers aren't special any more and the one interesting thing the characters have going for them aren't interesting any more.

Still, we're still getting much enjoyment from mocking it. We reckon Barry Scott is a mutant - head of his own band of mutant misfits. Him and Tourettes Man and Sings-Out-of-Tune Girl and the aforementioned Manic Depression Boy.